California-Los Angeles
Options

Venue Selection Remorse

So I finally booked my venue, the Castaways and I absolutely love the location, however do not love a lot of their restrictions. My FI and I probably visited a good 20 venues before making the final selection.

However, I do feel a little guilt because it is going to end up costing us more than we had first planned and not loving some of their policies. First of all, the ceremony has to start at 5:30 and they wont let us go earlier so that gives us 30 minutes before the sun starts setting. Plus the service charge is 20% and that's after taxes. My last complaint is that if you bring your own wine they charge you a $20 corkage fee for each bottle so that plan is out for us.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Overall I love the view and the banquet room is very pretty. And we knew what we were getting in to with the cost.

Anyone else feeling a little guilty or having issues about their venue selection.

Re: Venue Selection Remorse

• Options
    edited December 2011

awww, it sucks that you feel that way and can't be super excited about it. if it makes you feel any better,  just about every venue that nice has that awful service charge. i still cringe about the 18% at my venue, but what can you do Undecided

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue was also charging $18 cork per bottle, but if we drank the house wine it was included.  My dad called to say he didn't understand why they were charging for bottles they were not having to take from their stock and got them to waive the cork fee for the first 3 hours.  

Any chance you can negotiate SOME leniency on that?
  • Options
    Trista <3Trista <3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand where you're coming from, I found a place that's great and then I started reading their restrictions, I think I'm going to be looking for a place forever.
    I just don't understand, it seems like people see the word wedding and the price doubles.

I'm sure that the wedding will be awesome, just think about that and leave the remorse out of your head.
  • Options
    KIKI_82KIKI_82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm maybe I can try to negotiate, but they seem pretty strict. I can't believe how expensive alcohol is, too! But that's mostly every venue. My package includes a 2 hour full host bar and I'm considering maybe adding 1 or 2 more hours but that would mean more dinero so that's a buig maybe! I do not allow myself to stop and think about how much this is costing us because if I did I think I would flip! I'm hoping it's all worth it though in the end! (:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So for those 2 hours that your package already includes the hosted bar, it makes no difference to the venue if they open up their own bottles or yours.  I think you can probably negotiate those hours.  In fact, they make money by opening bottles that don't come out of their inventory so they can re-sell them later.
  • Options
    platinumkateplatinumkate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you didn't sign the contract already, there is usually room to negotiate on things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    EVERY venue is going to charge a 20% service fee. I told my venue, "I'm willing to pay x per person including service and tax. What can we do?" And they did it for me.

I did think that maybe we should have gone with another venue, but the more I look at pictures, the more I love it. FI loves it too, and they are super friendly and willing to work with us, plus within our budget. My mom and BFF have seen it too and they love it. So while there may be SOME place out there I might have liked more, this place fits us and our style.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a feeling weddings always cost more than we would like for them to :)

Did you read your contract before signing there for that information?  The service charge, etc. was probably in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if it makes you feel any better, i went to a wedding there and it was fabulous!!! =)
  • Options
    TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do I have venue selection remorse???

OH YEAH!!!

I am still dealing with hurt feelings behing being out of some money because of our venue selection. So I understnad where you are coming from.

If you have already signed the contract, not sure they will be willing to do anything but if not, you may ave some bargaining power...

GL!!!
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards