California-Los Angeles

How long does a non-church ceremony last?

No sure if I should post this here or on the invite board, but here goes...

I'm trying to figure out what time to put on the invitation.  We are getting married at the La Canada Flintridge Country Club - both the ceremony and reception will be there.  Our open bar and appetizers start at 6pm, and so we are supposed to time the ceremony accordingly to have the guests back up to the reception area at 6pm.  

The ceremony and reception are in different areas of the property, so people will valet park at the reception building, walk or be shuttled down to the ceremony and then walk or be shuttled back up to the reception.  Right now I'm thinking of putting 5:30 on the invites, expecting that the ceremony will last about 15-20 minutes, but I haven't really figured it out.  Also, I think if I put 5:00, it will be over too early and the guests will be waiting around for food and drinks to start. 

My brother will be the officiant - I expect he'll say a few words, have a song, with a unity candle type activity (maybe sand or something) and then vows.  Any advice or personal experience on how long a ceremony like that would actually take?  

Thanks!  

Re: How long does a non-church ceremony last?

• edited December 2011
    Our ceremony will be 25-30 min, but we have a "professional" officiant.

Since you are creating the ceremony yourself, and having your brother do it, it's hard for anyone else to know how long that would take...it's all in your control! You can add or omit what you want and keep it at whatever lengrth you want.

But one tip about the time- my DOC, officiant, venue coordinator, and the person who created our invitations all seperately told us to put the time on the invitations as 15 min before when you actually plan to start. They said this is standard practice, and it ensures that the guests will all be seated and on time, not walking in late, and to allow for any delays on your end, too. They said weddings ALWAYS start 15 min late.
  • edited December 2011

I would go with 5:00, because most likely you aren't going to start right at 5:00.  Even if your ceremony is over at 5:30 - the time it takes people to walk/shuttle back to the reception site I don't think waiting 10-15 minutes for open bar appetizers is long at all.  I rather have them there early ensuring that your guest get to enjoy the entire hour than get there late and they only get 45 minutes of it. 
    GL
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    adebord14-  I'm not getting married at LCFCC but my reception is there and the last time I met with the director there, we brought up the concern of our guests getting there a little before 6, our wedding is at 4 in San Gabriel with the ceremony and the drive time people might get there at 5:30 or 5:45. Anyway he told us that it wouldn't be a problem the food would be made by then and the bartender is already there so they will start serving when guests get there. He specifically said they wouldn't just have people wait around.  I say talk to them and ask them if that is possible for you and then put 5:15 or 5:30 on your invite.  I personally would hate to get to a wedding at 5 and it not really start until 5:30. GL & HTH! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards