Latino Weddings

Interfaith/Interracial

Im not wanting to step on any toes when planning my wedding. My FI FAMILY is Mormon, and I am Catholic, they are white and my family is Latino. My FI has not been a practicing mormon for many many years, but I'm thinking about all the plans that I want to do but Im not sure if its just going to be too much for my future in-laws to handle. They don't party, drink and their weddings usually consist of their temple ceremony followed by a brunch. Im not sure how to approach it with them especially since I have always pictured my wedding to be the way I wanted and pretty traditional with my Mexican-American heritiage. My FI and I already decided to have a non denominational ceremony and then we want a big reception, but the reception part is where I get a bad feeling that they are not going to be very keen to OUR Choices with what we want. How do I approach this with them?

Re: Interfaith/Interracial

• preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You don't.  Discuss the issue with your fiance so the 2 of you can agree about what you want and have HIM discuss it with his parents.  If there is a conflict, it should not be between you and the in-laws.  It sounds like you are being sensitive to their concerns...  There may be some places you can compromise (not being over-the-top with alcohol, for example) without sacrificing the things that are most important to you.  Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Agree 100% with preciosa!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree completely with Preciosa!

Religion is an important part of a relationship. It's better to discuss the matter before stepping into something permanent... oh say a marriage.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards