Latino Weddings
Options

Hola Muchachas!!!

New to the Board and learning so much!! Just got angaged one week ago and so excited but already stressed planning. My fiance is Mexican and first generation American born. I am Irish and puerta rican. My family doesn't speak a lick of spanish and only his two sisters and three cousins speak english!! We are trying to combine his mexican roots with my irish roots. Is there anything really important in the mexican culture that i really need to include or is it ok to just pick and choose what i like. I am not Catholic!! But his family is very religious and i want to include that to be respectful but i also don't want to go against my own beliefs. Any suggestions or comments??

Re: Hola Muchachas!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh to include to my long long message previously. I want to do the Lazo, monedas and azzuras. But i am not sure if there is anything else that is important to include. The ceramony will be half in spanish and half in english. Sorry if i spell things incorrectly, i am still learning. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

I am Mexican and my husband is American. All my family is from Mexico. Our ceremony was all in English but we did the Arras( gold coins).
    You can do whatever you want. Lazo and arras are always done in Mexican weddings.Thats all I can think of.  You can also ask your FI if there are other traditions in his family.
    GL!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Mexican and my FI is IrishAmerican. My Wedding is going to be in english, but I did asked him to add my traditions in regardless of the ceremony!

The Arras are 13 gold coins, That represents that he is going to work hard and he will bring the bread home( with what you said about religious wise I don't know if this is convenient for you because it is a little Machista! or I would say old school that the man is the one that rules in the house! so you can read it and change whatever you feel like it is better for both of you!

The Lazo in my family is a tradition that a couple that has been marred for very long put the lazo around the couple.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards