Latino Weddings

Green card interview?

Has anyone here gone though the green card interview yet?  We are months away from it still, but I'm feeling nervous.  We are COMPLETELY legit, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem, but still...  I'm just curious as to what to expect.  How invasive are the questions?

Re: Green card interview?

• edited December 2011
    I didn't go thru the process with my fiance, but he did go thru this process in the last few years.  He said that the interviews are simple, you just talk about your life.  There are no tricks or "hard" questions. You just answer their questions.  He said that his first interview he was nervous, just because of the unknown.  But, after that, he realized that there is nothing to be nervous about.  So, just relax and be confident that you are an expert on your life and your situation, so you will know the answers, it is just going thru the interview to get to the next step....nothing to worry about.
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's good to hear!  Thanks!  I think I heard that some people get the "fraud interview" which is a lot scarier.  It sounds like that only happens if there is reason for suspicion though, like if your ages are too far apart, you have wildly different educational levels, or something like that...  (Which we don't, fortunately.)
  • edited December 2011
    Even if you would end up with the "fraud" interview, if you have nothing to hide and you aren't trying to lie, you are still simply answering their questions.  There is nothing more you can do, but answer their questions.  So, try to not worry....cause between you and me, worrying....kind of pointless, it will have zero impact on the questions asked by the interviewer.
  • edited December 2011
    my friend went throught his. they ask stuff like what side of the bed does he sleep on. what color is his tooth bruth. what times does he wake up? stuff like that. who you live? how long? family questions like how well you know them and such.
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We went through the process and it was nothing like our immigration attorney prepared us for!  The immigration officer did not ask the "standard" questions-- What time do you wake up, what's your daily routine, where do you spend the holidays, what kind of cologne does he use, etc.  Rather, she said "Paint me a picture of your relationship." So, I basically started from the beginning-- how we met, first dates, when I knew he was 'the one'-- and took it from there.  Since we are 100% legit, it was easy for me to paint a picture of our relationship.  I think this type of question would be hard for non-legit couples.  Anyhow, we passed with flying colors and got "green card approval" the day of the interview!  :-)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! I kind of like the whole "picture of your relationship" thing!  (Would it be terrible if I said that sounds kind of...fun?)
  • edited December 2011
    Sometimes you never know what they are going to ask. With my fiance, they asked all the "what color is his tooth brush", asked for pictures, bank statements, insurance policies, lease papers, TONS of documentation.Take copies and originals of ANYTHING you have together. This was just in January, I don't know how recent everyone elses interviews were but this is the last 6 months, and it was very very 'nail biting'. But pretty  much, as long as you are honest and don't lie about anything, and you haven't been arrested or been in fights, drugs or convicted of any crime, you should  be fine. If you show you are going to "blend in and be an upstanding citizen" then you're going to be okay. Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I'm saving documentation...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards