Latino Weddings

Controversial Engagement

Hello!

My fiancé is Mexican and I really wanted to share our engagement story without racist preconceptions. 

He is an undocumented immigrant, which I know, is technically a crime, but love knows no borders.

Anywho, we met about three years ago or so, and after almost a year, he had to return to mexico to take care of his mother. We were apart for almost another year, I visited twice, and we did the long distance thing. But, we were both going crazy from not being together and his mom was doing fine. So, he told me that he promised to come back to the United States, legally or illegally to be with me. At the beginning of February, I knew something was up because he only called me a couple of times and the calls were only a few minutes long. Then, On Valentines day of 2010, he called me to ask me to pick him up at the bus stop in Oakland, CA. He has risked getting caught by INS, getting into trouble with coyotes, and risked his life to come back to me. So, at 6am on that day, I pick him up and we go back to my apartment where my best friend had slept over and he kneeled down and said, "The only thing I thought that was worthy of crossing the border with was this ring, and I want you to be mine and I promise to never leave you alone again." He was covered in dirt and grime from the desert and pulled the ring off his necklace. 

I love him, and now, coincidentally, we're moving back to Mexico to get married. 

Re: Controversial Engagement

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!!!  That story had tears in my eyes....beautiful!!!  True Love conquers all!!!
  • edited December 2011
    You give me hope! My fiance is presently from Nicaragua and working on a ship! We are set to get married this July and don't know how this is even going to work. He will have to go back to his country after only 29 days and we will, join him there. But our forever is uncertain, we are risking so much, just to be a family.

Thank you for your post, if you guys can do it, so can we!
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg, that is so beautiful. My fiance is here legally (TPS) but does not have legal residency or a green cards, so he could be deported if the government felt like it, but he came here illegally, and I know he wqould do the same thing that your FI did. It jut goes to show that love knows no boundries. congrats!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Awww, how beautiful! He did all this in the name of love. Congratulations!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! We're in the same boat more or less...only he's Argentinean and we've been together...get this...7 years lol. I agree, love knows no bounds and everything happens for a reason. I hope you have a blessed and beautiful wedding day!
  • edelgado11edelgado11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the heart truly has no borders. congrats :)
    Anniversary ExerciseMilestone
  • helenmreichhelenmreich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved reading this!  My SO moved to the US without papers when he was only ten.  It wasn't his choice and now he has to deal with being undocumented, and I'm so glad he doesn't have to cross the border again - I would be so worried!  Hopefully when we get married we can get things sorted out.
    My dad still thinks that my SO will marry me for citizenship, which is ridiculous.  We have been together over five years and he wants to wait a couple more years to get married.  

In any case, thank you for sharing your story!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Kelsey, your story was beautiful! Best of luck to you and your fiance!
  • I know I am so late on this reply, but it was realyl meaningful for me to read this.  I am in the same boat.  Thank you all for posting.  Are any of you still planning your weddings?  Lets chat!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards