Latino Weddings
Options

Mexican Reading

Hi Ladies - I would like to incorporate my FI Mexican culture into our ceremony. We have already been told by my FI's mother that we can not do the laso or 13 coins  (that was our original plan) so now we are thinking about maybe having a traditional Mexican reading/blessing during the ceremony. It would be read in Spanish for the ceremony but I also need it in English (I don't speak Spanish).

Do you have any ideas or can you tell me where to go to find this? THANKS
Anniversary

Re: Mexican Reading

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We picked up a book from Barnes and Noble that was all love poems in Spanish.  FI has to translate them for me, which is actually really fun!  They have a section of books written in Spanish, so it would be worth looking to see what you can find.  We are in Mid-Mo and we had some options, in Florida, I am confident that you would have even more.  This way, you get lots of options and get to actually pick what you like best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why can't you do the laso or coin ceremony? Out of curiosity.

Also, definatly agree with pp.   Borders also has a spanish language section.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish you were having the Lasso and the coins. You can have anyone do it really. Your god parents maybe? Good luck. Smile
    Happy to be prego Mel :)
  • Options
    sarasmiles84sarasmiles84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am marrying a Mexican and have been planning on doing the lasso and the coins. His mother is still in Mexico, and also doesn't speak a word of English. So I haven't talked to her about it. But why would you not be able to do those things at your wedding???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Mexican and marrying and Anglo who speaks no Spanish but we are doing a Bilingual wedding ceremony and we definitely are doing the arras and lazo.
  • Options
    AmandaG225AmandaG225 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Future MIL said that we can't do the arras & lazo because we are not getting married in a church! I disagree & of course my FI has no opinion ( i guess he feels like he is in he middle)! Do we go against my FI's mother & do it or do we not do it?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hacky09Hacky09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Laso and the arras is traditionally a part of the catholic ceremony, so you could do it, but since the Laso signifies the eternal bond and the commandment of marriage, I would agree with your future MIL that it shouldn't be included if it's not in a religious ceremony. 

The arras could be done outside a religious ceremony since it means that in marriage you will never be without during your life together.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think both could be done outside the church as long as they are done in a tasteful and respectful manner...and the lasso could be done with a decorative cord instead of a rosary if that makes a difference.  I would say do what makes you most comfortable, and what is meaningful to the both of you.  Then, you can tell FMIL that it was your choice together and hopefully she will respect that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards