Latino Weddings

Food question about Korean-Latin for reception

HI, my FI is Korean-American and I am Bolivian/Mexican-American (wedding in LA). My MIL is going to take care of the Korean food (buffet style) for the reception. I know that the older generation on my side of the family probably won''t  feel comfortable eating Korean food. I am trying to figure out a style of food that would complement Korean food. Any ideas? We are planning to have Mexican food for the after party, so I want something different for the reception. My mom gave me money for part of the ceremony and doesn't want the food to clash with Korean food (ie. no Italian/Indian food). I like South American food, but I'm not sure if the food will be good for a buffet instead of sit down dinner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Food question about Korean-Latin for reception

• jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand what you're dealing with. I am Chinese/Cambodian/Vietnamese-American and FI is Puerto Rican. About 1/2 of the foods that will be served will be Asian-inspired and 1/4 will be PR foods.

To complement the Asian foods that will be served (probably family-style) by the caterer/restaurant, FI's family (although I'd like to hire a caterer...) are bringing traditional PR foods like rice and beans, platanos, penne (food they are familiar with) that will be served as side dishes to the 12-course dinner. Also, our guests enjoy many of the same of non-alcoholic drinks like coconut, malta, bubble drinks & etc so we'll have plenty of those. For dessert, FI would like to have an array of candies/sweets from our ethnicities alongside "American" sweets.

HTH! GL with planning!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe you can do korean appetizers and have the dinner be mexican. It's your wedding and you should be intitled to infuse both cultures. I think it would be unique to incorporate both foods.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice. Since we are doing the Korean pae baek wedding ceremony at FI church, I am trying to figure out how to incorporate Latin traditions into the ceremony. Now I just need to find a caterer that can serve Peruvian food :)

• edited December 2011
    We are doing the ceremony in English, but incorporating Mexican traditions and symbols.  We were struggling to decide what to do for our reception.  Then, I decided to have a traditional Mexican reception.  When we have a get together at our house, we eat Mexican foods and there is Spanish music on. So, I figure when we celebrate this most wonderful time, we should do it the way we like to celebrate.  We went with what the two of us our most comfortable with.  Our families are used to this, as most birthday parties and gatherings are similar.  So, we wanted this to just feel like a big celebration. 

I think you should do what feels the most natural to you and what you will enjoy the most.  Your guests will have fun, if you are having fun.  Some may be used to your celebration, some may be experiencing something new, but either way a celebration filled with joy is fun for all in attendance.  Do what will make you happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards