Latino Weddings

English? Spanish? Spanglish???

My fiance and I are both of Cuban descent. We're both fully bilingual but prefer English. I kind of wanted everything in English except for maybe the ceremony, which we could do bilingual. I definitely want our vows in English though... any other ideas how I can incorporate Spanish into the ceremony, aside from just translating everything? I don't want it to look like an episode of Que Pasa USA.

Re: English? Spanish? Spanglish???

• Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What if you do one reading in English and the other in Spanish? 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_english-spanish-spanglish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:f46f4abb-7de0-41d6-be23-b21edbc2b41cPost:c6ee8d32-5d89-4b6d-b811-acea75711865">Re: English? Spanish? Spanglish???</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if you do one reading in English and the other in Spanish? 
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

That's true... Maybe alternate the whole thing?
  • leah2489leah2489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_english-spanish-spanglish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:f46f4abb-7de0-41d6-be23-b21edbc2b41cPost:c6ee8d32-5d89-4b6d-b811-acea75711865">Re: English? Spanish? Spanglish???</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if you do one reading in English and the other in Spanish? 
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

Thats what we are doing. We will also have the programs one side English one side Spanish.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_english-spanish-spanglish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:f46f4abb-7de0-41d6-be23-b21edbc2b41cPost:256a5290-a8e9-4b76-92a9-6d073228c75f">English? Spanish? Spanglish???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are both of Cuban descent. We're both fully bilingual but prefer English. I kind of wanted everything in English except for maybe the ceremony, which we could do bilingual. I definitely want our vows in English though... any other ideas how I can incorporate Spanish into the ceremony, aside from just translating everything?<strong> I don't want it to look like an episode of Que Pasa USA.
    </strong>Posted by kiblerfaeri826[/QUOTE]

LOL That made me smile :) I'm kind of going through the same thing. For our ceremony, my FSIL will do a a reading in spanish, although most of the ceremony will be in English. My DJ even did a sample of speaking both because our family is divided and it was pretty good. Maybe you can see if your officiant will do that? At least so you get an idea of what it would be like?
  • edited December 2011
    You can do the ceremony primarily in English if that is your preference, and just include Spanish elements, such as a Spanish reading, you could have a Spanish blessing, or have a song in Spanish.  If you have guests that only speak one language or the other, having the program in both languages may be quite helpful.
  • edited December 2011
    How about your FI saying his vows in Spanish and you say it in English? I love the idea of having a few readings in both languages too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards