Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Wanting to run away (with him of course)

I've been engaged for about 3 weeks and the thought of planning a wedding is stressing me out. I don't want to do it....  I just don't think a big wedding (or small wedding) is "us". I am thinking of the two of us just taking off to somewhere adventurous or remote in the world. I think it would be fun to send everyone a postcard announcing we've wed. I just feel strongly that marriage is a personal commitment between two people and I've become bitter towards family & friends over the past few weeks because of their "opinions and beliefs... and "ideas" about what we should do. 

Does anyone else feel similar ? 

Re: Wanting to run away (with him of course)

• Options
    I'm in the same boat! I do care what our families and friends have to say, of course, but I've never wanted a wedding, my fiance is in the army and we're not even sure when he'll be home to set a date too far in advance, and tbh I really can't be bothered to plan a wedding.

You'll probably hurt some feelings, but hopefully eventually everyone will be happy for you. Just be prepared to hear some words after.
  • Options
    That's essentially what we're doing. Just us and our parents when we get married on a beach in Hawaii :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wanting-run-away-him-of-course?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:009b0d9d-05c5-43cb-bf27-b3cfb579df29Post:04c10aa9-42b7-4bc1-9ddc-f72f0ceb4ba6">Wanting to run away (with him of course)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been engaged for about 3 weeks and the thought of planning a wedding is stressing me out. I don't want to do it....  I just don't think a big wedding (or small wedding) is "us". I am thinking of the two of us just taking off to somewhere adventurous or remote in the world. I think it would be fun to send everyone a postcard announcing we've wed. I just feel strongly that marriage is a personal commitment between two people and I've become <u>bitter towards family & friends over the past few weeks because of their "opinions and beliefs... and "ideas" about what we should do.  Does anyone else feel similar ? 
    </u>Posted by reelsoutherncharm[/QUOTE]

We have a planned destination wedding just the two of us in a few months. However, everyone knows. It took a little bit for his mom to realize why we wanted to elope. Now she is on board, but we had a long engagement (school) so she had lots of time to get used to it. She may throw a low-key at home reception for close family and friends (but no details for the AHR yet). I'm trying to think of a cute things to get her/ involve her more.

I would caution you to tell your parents before you elope/ have a private DW. Some parents will never forgive you for taking it away from them. (I personally find that selfish of them, as I agree marriage is just between two people). However, as your parents they do have the right to have a head's up.

Only you can decide what is right for you, but I know some families have never forgiven their children for eloping. However, if you just want to elope because  you are "bitter" then I doubt you will be happy about what happens. Ask people why they are upset. What is really going on here? Do you want to elope because you have always wanted to or do you just want to run away from people and their opinions? Running away is never good.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Yes.

We eventually eloped, since certain people made it clear they were going to run the show and not us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards