Ohio-Northeast

Hem length HELP!

Hi ladies!  I hope everyone's planning is going well!So, I've come across an issue that I didn't even think of when choosing the bridal party dresses.  I chose a tea length dress I fell in love with.  But now I have no clue what to tell the girls about the hem length.  We have height ranging from 5'1" - 5'7" (5 girls total).  A full tea length (middle/bottom of the calves) isn't quite as flattering on shorter girls, so I was thinking of just telling them all to do 1/2 an inch below the knee.  I think this would be the most flattering for all of the heights.  But someone mentioned something about all of the lengths being the same for the pictures?  How the heck would we do this?  I'm afraid the dress would look really different on all the girls if we did this?  AHHH ~ HELP!   Any of your suggestions or similar stories, and pictures (if you have them) would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!!!

Re: Hem length HELP!

• edited December 2011
    Have it be the same body point on all the girls. I think it looks silly to have a longer dress on some! Are you meaning 1/2 inch below the bottom of the knee? The wedding I was in with tea length dresses, everyone had them hemmed according to height. We all went with middle of the calves. One girl got hers hemmed to mid-knee because she liked it better. Hoo boy that looked weird. I did think mid-calf still looked nice on the short ones (I'm 5'3) and we got many complements on our dresses from passers by.
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking 1/2 an inch below the bottom of the knee (so I guess that would be brushing them at about their upper calves), but I'm definitely up for other suggestions.  Should I maybe do one inch, two??  And that's what I was thinking about trying to keep them all the same length for the pics...they would be short on the short girls, but longer on the tall ones and I thought that might look goofy.  It would be different if they were all about the same height.  Any other thoughts?
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also say base it on a body part -- knee, calf, etc. I would NOT try to get them to align hems based on X number of inches from the floor, no matter what their heights. IMO, that would look goofy and unnatural in photos. As for how far below the knee to go, I think it depends on the style of the dress you're having them wear. Do you have a link?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think I'd like that one shorter better than longer. Maybe an inch below the knee to be safe since it will stand out a little from the body?
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had an even bigger height range with my girls (5'0 to 5'10")!  I told them all to have it hemmed to knee length (I wasn't overly picky on where on the knee it fell).  I thought it looked really nice.  I wouldn't keep it tea length as it really doesn't look as nice on shorter people.  I'm 5'2" and when I have to wear a tea length dress I feel and LOOK shorter than I really am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much starshine985!  Do you have any pics of your bridesmaids by any chance?
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can definitely get you a picture - it will have to wait until I get home from work though (just a few more hours!). Send me an email at chrishwedding@yahoo.com and I'll make sure to send you a picture!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards