Just Engaged and Proposals

Picking a date

So I got engaged on Christmas Eve. We decided on a date of August 16th, 2014 (I need to finish school). Now I go to thinking that I would really like to get married on Christmas Eve becuase its our favorite holiday together and its when we got engaged. I just don't know if I want to ask my guests to give up thier Christmas Eve.

Any suggestions?

Re: Picking a date

• Christmas eve is tough, especially with those with children.  I personally would not go to a Christmas eve wedding unless it was someone really close to me.  I'd keep the August date or have a Christmas theme wedding in December.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • agreed. 

one of my friends got married in early january, and had a wintry/christmassy theme. it was fun and let us enjoy our holidays.
  • You COULD have it in December or January or one of the winter months and use that as a theme. But I'd discourage you from having your wedding ON Christmas Eve. The only people who would probably show up would be immediate family. If you do decide to have it on Christmas Eve, prepare yourself for a lot of people RSVPing 'no.'

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • A possible suggestion for a Christmas Eve wedding, have a very early wedding, most, not all adults and children would have off on christmas eve. So possibly say a 11am wedding, followed by a nice lunch, and all said and done by 4. Pleanty of time for pre-christmas morning activities.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• honestly, i wouldn't. many people attend midnight masses, have family functions, split Christmas and Christmas Eve with both sides of their families, and travel out of town. You wouldn't want to plan a wedding and have a huge chunk of your guests decline the invite.

What about having your wedding in December and go along with the theme?
    5/27/12
  • I wouldn't attend a Christmas Eve wedding.  That is a very special time for many families who use that time to visit.  Also, if you aqre having a church wedding, this could be a problem due to services.  If you have it on that date, be prepared to pay extra because many consider it a holiday.
  • Ditto PPs.  Unless you're having an immediate family only ceremony and reception, I'd think you would get a lot of no's.  A Christmassy wedding in December would work great though.  And it can be cheaper because the church is already decorated for Christmas!
  • edited April 2011
    That is a brilliant suggestion!!!! I never thought of having it earlier in the day that way we could all have our holidays. Thank you for that suggetion. I will definatly keep it in mind while we are planning and figuring things out. :)

We have already decided that we are only going to invite immediate family(aunts uncles grandparents cousins) and a couple of VERY VERY close frinds of the family. We are not doing extended family because both of our families are BIG. /so there wont be any secong cousins or anything like that.
  • I really think you will have a lot of people unable to come because of being on Christmas Eve, but if you're okay with that, go for it.  I wanted to have the day before Easter, but couldn't due to churches not wanting a wedding that day, so I waited until the next week.  I always dreamed of having a December wedding, but didn't because we were trying to hurry since my FIL was dying of cancer. 

Good luck in deciding. 
  • I know someone who got married on Valentines day.

Honestly, If you want to get married on Christmas Eve. Do it.  The whole point is to get married, isn't it?

And since you aren't inviting many people, as long as everyone is okay with it, then go for it!!

• I would definitely say no. First, would you always want to spend your anniversary with family? I'd want my own day.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi there! I have another random suggestion for you - 12/13/2014!

My fiance and I are also shooting for a 2014 wedding, and we were also considering 8/16/2014 (small world, isn't it?). Then I realized that 12/13/14 was a possibility and I just love it! It's definitely in the running now! So it would be close to Christmas, and it would be a really fun date. It's a Saturday in case you were wondering :)

Again, just a random suggestion :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I wouldn't attend a Christmas eve wedding. The week immediately preceding Christmas and in between Christmas and New Year, you'll have a lot of declined invitations. If you want a small intimate wedding, that may not be a bad thing...you'll have only your closest family and friends by you, instead of feeling pressure to invite your co-workers, your parent's friends, and your 3rd cousins, and friends you haven't seen in four or five years.
  • edited April 2011
    I thought the same thing and had been thinking early December. I really wouldn't do Christmas eve though. It would put your guests in tough situations, and besides, why not have holidays and anniversaries seprate for celebrating anyway! Smile

Ps. August 16th is a wonderful day! (its my birthday.) and can't remember it ever raining that day!
  • If you're planning a church wedding, there isn't a church anywhere that I know of that would hold a Christmas Eve wedding.  I work in a church as an organist, and I wouldn't play for a Christmas Eve wedding.

And even if you held your wedding earlier in the day, I still  think most people would decline.  It's just not a day for a wedding. Sorry.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards