Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Am I Planning to Early???

SO me and my fiance got engaged 11/2009 but we are not getting married until 08/2012. But i feel like I want to start planning because I am at school and I wnat to make it a perfect wedding. I was wondering if I started planning and all that it would be to early? I just dont wanna get to stressed out with being a full time student. Can anyone help me please!!!

Re: Am I Planning to Early???

• Options
    I don't think it's too early to start doing research, but I wouldn't actually do any planning yet.  You'll change your mind way too many times. 
  • Options
    I agree with Navy, many venues/vendors won't allow you to book anything until a year prior. Also you'll need to put deposits down on any of the services you book.
  • Options
    depends on where you live. im getting married right outside NYC and the place books up 2 years in advance for saturday evenings. I ended up booking that and the church a little over 2 years out. Now, I'm at 1 1/2 years and I haven't done anything else, just sitting back and researching for fun. Just don't make any major decisions like buy your dress this early because you will definitely change your mind when new styles come out!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with Navy, it's fine to start gathering ideas and pictures and looking at magazines, but I would definitely not try booking any vendors at this point.  Actually most vendors probably wouldn't let you book this early.  Just remember that dress styles and wedding styles change year to year, so things will change a lot by 2011 which is the year before your wedding when you should really be planning.  Use 2010 to get ideas and talk about the type of wedding you want to have, and to save money, and then start planning in 2011.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with Navy also. I would do research and wait a little while. I started planning almost 2 years before the wedding and I ended up changing almost everything a year later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The earlier you plan, the less stress you will encounter once your wedding day comes. I think you will be relieved that you planned everything in advance. Take on a little at a time.
  • Options
    I am speaking from experience. I am a full time student and am planning my wedding for July 2010. It has been extremely difficult trying to balance school and wedding planning, but don't get me wrong it can totally be done! I am taking a larger school load for school in order to graduate a little early... (long story). It is never to early to start planning especially for the major things like your ceremony sight, reception venue, photographer those kind of big things. The other things are details that you can do as you have time. If you find a place that you love and thats where you want to get married BOOK IT ASAP!!! I found that you have to book these things really early! So do some research at your leisure and then book when you are ready! This summer we booked all of our major thing while we were in between summer school sessions that that we wouldnt have to do as much.

Good luck! I have a lot of tips and advice about doing this just like I am sure a lot of other knotties do too! So just ask for help if you need it! but take your time and start thinking of ideas!!! Happy Planning!
  • Options
    I would get started with the basics like, budget, guest list, overal style (formal vs. casual) etc. When it comes to booking things the most I would book is the venue, because depending on your area they could be booked 2 years out (which was our experience with a lot of places)

Other than that i would just look at magazines & online and start getting ideas of colors, and dresses but don't set anything in stone because your mind could change 100 times between now and then, I know mine did.

These articles may help you get started...

http://www.soulfulengagements.com/1/category/getting%20started/1.html
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Congrats on your engagement. Best advise is to focus on school, enjoy the engagement but it is to early to PLAN now. Your best bet is to enjoy looking through magazines and online images and check out what other people are doing look up vendors and observe more. The main reasons it is to early to plan (but never to early to be inspired is...)
    1. Styles, fashion, trends will all change each season and over the next couple years.
    2. Vendors will come and go in this econmy
    3. You and your fiance will evolve with time and your taste may change

So need to begin planning...but sit back and bask in the fact that you have time to be inspired and to begin researching the in's and out's of weddings :)

Nerissa Montemurro
    Founder & CEO
    Private Receptions™
    www.privatereceptions.com
  • Options
    Yes, you are planning too early.
    - namaste mothafockaaaas - image
  • Options
    Plan, plan, plan!  I have been engaged since July of this year, and planning since a few months before then.  ;)  We aren't getting married until March of 2011, so I haven't really been able to actually schedule anything yet, but I have a really good idea of everything I want, which will make it really easy when the time comes!  Also, depending on how much of your budget you are going to cover (if any), take advantage of the long engagement and start setting aside a small amount of money every month.  My fiance and I have been doing this, since we will probably cover at least half of our wedding.  It will definitely pay off in the end, and we've hardly been noticing the small amounts we've been putting aside.  Congratulations on the engagement, and try really hard to stay away from this site and study!!!  I've failed miserably...sigh.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Options
    Wow! 3 years, huh? That's a little early to start actually setting things in stone. But I think you are lucky to have that time to research and look around for things you like. And save up money for more expensive things. I wouldn't PLAN now, but I would definitely take advantage of the time. We're doing it all easily in 6 months, so there's really not THAT much of a rush!
  • Options
    I agree with pps. If you like vendors/venues that are especially popular, you may need to book with them well in advanced to get a Saturday evening wedding. Otherwise, I would just take planning into stride.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    here's what u can do. start researching about ur gowns, and accessories, and color choices and such.
    and locations.

but dont book anything yet.
    my wedding is gonna be on august 2012 as well!(or september)
    but be sure to leave something to research when u actually start planning(ex:book venues and stuff)

im now researching on my dream ring.^^

also i think now is too early to start researching about registrys. leave it to the a year mark.

• Options
    I got engaged this sept and we thought we weren't going to have to worry about booking the place or anything for a few months.  We found out that 2010 was completely out of the question!  Everything was already booked up.  So we opted for 2011 and we were open for a july or aug wedding, our venue only had one weekend left in aug of 2011!!!!!!  She said she actually had a lot of brides from 2008 booking a 2011 wedding!  We were sooo shocked!  So the date is Aug 27th, 2011 and all we have "planned" is the ceremony / reception site and our photographer because she gets crazy busy and gets booked up very quickly!  Hope you are enjoying your wedding planning.  Its never too early to start!  I think it is less stressful this way AND you can make more smaller payments on things so its not a large sum of money all at once!!!!
  • Options
    I personally don't think it is too early. Yes you will change your mind a thougsand times but it helps if you know what you want. Especially if you are busy. Do a little here and a little there and you will not be so stressed when the time comes closer. At least thats how I feel about it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Yes and no.

It's not too early for reseaching things, making up guest lists and budgets, style of the reception (formal or causal).  Depending on the venue it may or may not be too early to book (someplaces only book out 12-18 months.  Others do not have restrications.

It is too early to pick out WP members (a lot can happen with friendships), WP attire, colors, flowers, etc.  You will change your mind a million times during those 3 years.  Plus in 3 years styles will change.  You do not want to 'date'  yourself.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I also just got engaged 11/2009 and our wedding is planned for 07/2012..Our venue books 2 years out so we won't actually book for acouple more months. We have already decided our wedding party. Other than that we are just getting ideas..I'm keeping a binder of everything I like and the ideas that are popping into my head. We will probably start doing more next summer. I'm in school fulltime so it'll be a little hard to do it during the school year.
  • Options

Hi, I just got engaged 11/2009 and our wedding is April 2011... its never to early esp. like so many brides have said you truly found a place you love and its popular and you wedding will be on a Saturday... book it, if you love it, that's my motto.... Planning  and getting ideas is also great so continue to do that and look around also before you actually book. I have talked to venues here in Atlanta that have events already scheduled on my date, so its not uncommon, and its not too early. Enjoy, relax, and happy planning ;-)

• Options
    Wow I just got engaged last weekend and thought about waiting till after the holidays to start planning anything but it sounds like I'm already behind since we want the wedding Nov 20, 2010.  I have started looking but not made any big decisions except colors and date and have no idea where or what kind of wedding I want. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, if you are, so am I! We got engaged November 10th, and I'm already planning.

So far, I've...
    ~Picked colors (which have changed only once).
    ~Set a tentative reception menu (which has not changed).
    ~Set a date (which has not changed - it's December 30, 2011).
    ~Booked my officiant, because I know him personally - he's a family friend - and he gets booked FAST, so as soon as we settled on a date, I told him.
    ~Picked out and purchased a gown (because I really, truly do not care what's 'in style' for this season - I like what I like, and that's it. I also know what looks good on me).

So yea, if you're planning too early, so am I. I'm thrilled (and so's he!) that the date is set, the food is settled, the officiant is on board, and I have something to wear. I'm ahead that way! I'm looking to start school in 2010, to be done by 2011, so I'm taking a heavier load than what is normally advised. So yea... I don't think it's too early to plan! So far as changing your mind, you may surprise yourself and not change your mind.
  • Options

you will change your mind, prices will change....it will probably be a waste of time. Focus on school.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards