Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement party!!.

So my fiance and I have been engaged for about 2 months.We are planning on having an engagement party next month because,we are getting married in 2 years so we feel doing it sooner will prepare our families and it's also a better way to tell everyone who doesn't already know.my question is are we having our party way to soon?.

Re: Engagement party!!.

• An engagement party should typically occur within the first 6 months of an engagement, so you're find on timing.  However, it is against etiquette to throw your own engagement party--it would be perfectly appropriate, however, for your family to host.
  • You don't throw your own engagement party/shower/bachelorette. Other people host them for you. If no one offers, you don't get one.
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2012
    If someone OFFERS to throw you an e-party, that's fine, but it's not something you can throw for yourself. I didn't have one and I've never attended one; they aren't required, and if no one offers to host it for you, you just don't get one.

Also, what do you mean by "preparing your families?" Preparing them for what? Are they against you getting married?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • You can throw a party or cookout, but it's kind of bad form to throw yourselves an official 'engagement party.'
    And FWIW, we didn't even have an engagement party. Just friends and family over for champagne and dinner.
  • My FI and my parents are throwing us an engagement party. We got engaged at the end of April and having our e-party in August. Your timing is fine for the party. Your E-party should occur a few months from your engagement.  Congrats and good luck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-party-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0bdd1c71-ed28-457e-a7b3-962bdd6c4720Post:c6afee06-4863-403e-8062-1c8717d930cc">Re: Engagement party!!.</a>:
    [QUOTE]If someone OFFERS to throw you an e-party, that's fine, but it's not something you can throw for yourself. I didn't have one and I've never attended one; they aren't required, and if no one offers to host it for you, you just don't get one. <strong>Also, what do you mean by "preparing your families?</strong>" Preparing them for what? Are they against you getting married?
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>I bet they are going into intensive training for the wedding.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-party-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0bdd1c71-ed28-457e-a7b3-962bdd6c4720Post:f408999a-8362-4114-b140-a1db2c86fd83">Re: Engagement party!!.</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can throw a party or cookout, but it's kind of bad form to throw yourselves an official 'engagement party.' And FWIW, we didn't even have an engagement party. Just friends and family over for champagne and dinner.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    Yes.<div>
    </div><div>Why not have a bbq or dinner party? You can still tell everyone when they arrive the big news. If I am invited to an e-party I bring a gift. If you host your own e-party it would be fishing for gifts in my circle. A normal bbq or dinner party I don't feel obligated to bring anything. We had no eparty. Just had both families get together for Thanksgiving. </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards