Just Engaged and Proposals

It all happens so fast!....

Ive been engaged for almost three months, and since the proposal  day we have both been TOO busy with work. I feel like I have not had time to be taken away by the whole thing....

I feel like this is not getting the attention it deserves. Does anybody feel the same?

Im wondering if its too late for an engagement party? and pictures and everything?

Im starting to think that wiating a year to get married is not a good idea, does the excitement of being engaged wear out or something? have i lost it completly?

Re: It all happens so fast!....

• Waiting a year is perfectly fine. You'll be needing the time to prepare and organize your dream wedding.

I'm not sure what being 'engaged' feels like cause I've only been engaged for two weeks and my fiancee has already told me to 'enjoy the engagement.' What ever that means :)

I feel indifferent.
  • To be completely honest I wish we had not had such a long engagement.  We had a 1.5yr engagement to give time to plan everything and get situated in our new house and yes, it did take away from the excitement. 

By the time the wedding finally came we were so stressed by family, planning, cancellations, and other problems that we just wanted it to be over.  Now that it is, I'm a little upset that I wasted a whole year stressing about all that crap when I could have just been happy with DH.

I think most of my feelings come from the fact that I wanted a small ceremony with just us and our parents a year ago.  MIL had a fit that her family would not be invited so we changed our plans for them.  Most of them did not show up.  I guess I'm a little bitter about giving up what I wanted for them.

Anyway, it comes down to what you want.  When you think hard about it what do you really want?  Do you want the big extravagant wedding that people stress over for months or something else?

Oh, and no, it's not too late for a party or pictures.  A girl on my month board just did her e-pics recently (she is married).  They turned out lovely.
  • Only you can determine whether a year is too long. It is not too late to get engagement pictures or have a party of any of that sorts - you are after all still engaged.

FI and I believe that once we made the decision to get married in October, then we were as good as ready to just go ahead and do it. Nothing to do with preserving excitment of being engaged, but rather we knew we wanted to do it, and did not feel a need to follow any certain traditions or others expectations of what engagement (or a wedding) meant. Once we decided, well, we had made that commitment to marriage to one another, just not publically or legally. The only thing that prevented us from eloping or going to the JOP was that we did want to have a small intimate celebration, with some very close family and friends.

It took us two weeks to plan and put together everything for a wedding that will occur less than ten weeks after the engagement.

That included planning a destination wedding over a long weekend at a Canadian resort we both love (complete with booking room for ceremony, flights, hotel reservations, getting our marriage license, finding hair/makeup/manicure etc appointments, finding an officiant, ordering our wedding bands, inviting our guests, confirming guests, figuring out how we would do food, set up room, finding a dress, etc - everything).

As we are keeping it small (under 20 including us) and really laid back and casual, it was really low stress and easy to do. We are not looking for perfection and we certainly did NOT need a year! Our dream wedding was small, intimate, personal and very much a reflection of us as individuals and as a couple. And we did not allow anyone else to interfere with that.

How long you need depends on you and your FI and what works for you as a couple. But it certainly CAN be done in as little or much time as you want.
  • I've been engaged for about 2 months and it hasn't sunk in even though we've booked most of the big things and I've picked my bridesmaid.
    My FI is presenting me  my ring at New Years so I think that's the reason why it hasn't sunk in for me yet.
    If you're as busy as you are, I think the amount of time you have until the wedding day is plenty of time to enjoy.

The more I read posts on these boards, the more I notice that there is no standard way to do things. The average is 1.5 years from engagement to wedding day.

If you're looking for a little way to enjoy being engaged, go get a manicure with one of your future bridesmaids (if you've picked them yet).
  • A year to a year and a half is the normal time a couple is engaged. Anything shoter than a year is rushed and stressful (that is if you both work)

PS- You never throw your own engagement party or shower. If no one offers, just plan a night out to eat with clsoe loved ones to celebrate but don't call it an engagement party. It comes off as rude by throwing your own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If someone hasn't offered to throw you an e-party yet, you might not get one. Sorry.

I'll be engaged about a year. Sometimes I feel like it's too long and I want to be married now! But FI and I have the same vision for our wedding, and it's not something we can throw together in a month. Plus, since you've been so busy with work, it's nice to give yourself enough time to plan everything without getting totally stressed out.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I have been engaged since January and my fiance' and I are both in school and he works too, so we have been really busy. I do sometimes feel like some of the excitment has worn off which makes me sad, but then when I am with friends and family the excitement comes right back because everyone starts asking about wedding plans and all of that good stuff! We still have not had our engagement party yet because we have been super busy and he works most weekends, but we are still having one just once school settles down a little bit. Even though we have been engaged for awhile, I don't think it really matters. So just start talking with your mom and bridesmaids and tell them that you want an engagement party and see if they can help you plan that since you are busy.. and take your engagement pictures! we just took ours and our using them for our christmas card this year!

I am sure that if people knew you were upset and thought that your wedding wasnt getting the attention it shouuld, they would feel bad. So just start talking withyour friends and everyone about some of your wedding ideas or ask opinions to kind of bring it up! I know that probably sounds silly, but this is your time to be the bride and everyone to be excited with you!

I t
  • Nope it's just the world around you hasn't changed but you have :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards