Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

HELP!!!

I JUST got engaged a few days ago...we want to get married this fall, but that really doesn't leave a lot of time to plan everything.  Everyone I know seems to have ideas, and they are asking SO many questions that I don't seem to have answers to.  If it were up to us, we would just elope and get the whole thing over with, but our families would be devestated.  Any ideas on how we can meet in the middle?

Re: HELP!!!

• Options
    You have plenty of time to plan a wedding for this fall.  The first thing you need to do is sit down with your FI and decide on a budget.  If your parents are offering to contribute money towards your wedding then you need to find out how much they would like to contribute or if they want to just purchase certain things (like the DJ, reception hall, whatever).  Then find a venue.  Once you've found a venue then search for your dress.  Then book the rest of your vendors.  If you have one vendor, ask for recommendations for other vendors.  They all usually work together and can recommend some great people.  If you and your FI plan on having a WP, I would wait until Spring to ask them.  

That about covers it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Technically fall doesn't start until late September. So you have at least nine months to plan. If someone could have a child in that time, you can plan a wedding in the same amount or less.
  • Options
    Agreed. It does not take longer to plan a wedding than it does to grow a baby. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Yes, plenty of time. Just chill out, take a breather for a day or two, come up with an actual date and then start with a budget to begin with. If your family or his are offering to pay for something or take care of a portion, then count that as well. If they aren't, don't ask for them to. Just budget for a wedding YOU can afford in case they never do offer. Then reserve your date with your venue, then get started on finding a dress, then the vendors after. I see women on here planning their wedding in 3-4 months, sometimes shorter. So just relax and enjoy this time. :)
    Running buddies are forevah.

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Completed 2012 Races: Cupid's Chase 5k Feb. 11th: 26:20, Donovan's Run 5k March 10th: 25:00, Statesman Cap 10k March 25th: 57:19

Upcoming: Komen Race for the Cure 10k May 12th (SA)

• Options
    I agree with PPs, plenty of time!  Definitely do budget first, then make a guest list.  Your next step should be to find a venue and pick a date.  Once you've done those 3 things, you will probably feel much more at ease.  Once you check a couple of things off your to-do list, the whole wedding planning process will seem more manageable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Options
    I got engaged on 12/3/2010  & we have planned to get married 9/24/2011. I was SO stressed at first, but the most important advice I got was to NOT set a date until I found a venue that was open that I wanted to have it at and that would accommodate all of my guests. I would suggest to make a guest list (to know how many people you need to accommodate) & to plan a budget before you pick a venue. You need to know a guest list to know how big to pick the venue and also know the budget so you know how much money you are able to spend. It is doable though
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards