Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

A Ring Conundrum...

Ok, so I will start with "I'm a raging hippy and I didn't want a new mined diamond ring".
So, my fiance proposed with a loose Apollo diamond.  1/3 carat and absolutely beautiful.
However, he didn't tell his parents that he was going to ask until he already had.  Upon trying to find a jeweller to mount my cultured diamond (not a simulant), his mom informed us that her original engagement ring of 30+ years was in her jewelry box at home gathering dust.  She told us that we could have it.  To me it is a symbol of the years I have spent winning over the affections of his parents (7 years to be exact) and a symbol that I was finally being accepted into the family.  It is a 3-stone with a 1/2 carat center and (2) 1/4 carats on the sides
But he spent a great deal of money and time and effort, talking to the engineers in the labs at Apollo even to find and purchase just the right loose stone for me.  The one I specifically requested.  Cultured diamonds cost as much as mined ones.
So, we thought of having a right-hand ring made of my loose stone.  But I'm not a jewelry girl and I would like to only have to worry about one hand.
I think it would look absolutely fabulous set with two lab-created blue sapphires in a matching setting to my ring from his mother.  My wedding band his mother also provided is a solid platinum ring, a wider one though.  
So, I am stuck, I thought I was a picky bride-to-be and that he wouldn't get the right ring, and now I have two perfect choices.
Another thing I thought about was to have the platinum of the solid band turned into a channel setting for to Apollo diamond and lab sapphires as my wedding ring.
Do you think either wearing both engagement rings and the wedding ring on the left hand or having the Apollo and sapphires channel set as the wedding ring would be too much bling or could I get away with it since I don't wear ANY other jewelry anywhere else on my body (my ears aren't even pierced anymore).

Re: A Ring Conundrum...

• Options
    Honestly it all sounds like way to much to me. There is no need for any more than 1 engagement ring and 1 wedding band.

• Options
    Whoa, sounds like a lot. I am not sure what I would do to be honest. Can you make the single stone into a necklace?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-conundrum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:453a98d4-a600-43e2-b43e-364af7954857Post:80e73bcf-436f-4c7f-90b0-9229bec5914a">Re: A Ring Conundrum...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoa, sounds like a lot. I am not sure what I would do to be honest. Can you make the single stone into a necklace?
    Posted by afloggie[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. What you described sounds like a lot of rings for one finger lol. You said you don't wear a lot of jewelry. I don't either. I only ever wear my engagement ring (and in the future, my wedding band too). But FI and I have been together nearly five years now, and has lately been bugging me to start wearing more jewelry so he can have other ideas for gifts for me. I have never had my ears pierced, so I told him I think solitaire necklaces are gorgeous and simple.
  • Options

I agree with PP, make the loose stone into a necklace.

• Options
    What if you used FMIL's rings for your wedding set and either made the loose stone into a right-hand ring or a necklace, but instead of the saphires, you used each of your birthstones to flank it - kind of the "2 become 1" symbol utilizing the diamond he proposed with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a diamond pendant I never wear and 3 right hand rings.  
    After talking to my sister, aka the MOH, I'm going to schedule a meeting with the jeweler about having the loose stone plus 2 very small blue sapphires set into a custom "band" that is more like a lower height version of my engagement ring.  A bit more bling, but not 3 rings... I dunno what they will say or how much bank they'll want.  
    But after talking to my fiance he is okay with not rushing into setting the loose stone as he'd rather I be fully satisfied with the outcome than to rush into a decision on it just for the wedding when I have a perfected good engagement ring and wedding band for the big day.
  • Options
    I think the most ecological thing to do would be to reuse the estate rings and your fiancee sell the cultured stone. It's the thought and effort that counts for the cultured stone, right? And you'll be putting one more cultured diamond back on the market; who knows, that could take the place of a mined diamond in someone else's ring. KWIM?

I also think the honor of your FMIL offering her ring is something you don't want to pass up, especially if there is a history of cold behavior.
  • Options
    I missed the part about setting the cultured diamond into a new wedding band with some cultured sapphires... I think it would be a nice compromise to wear the estate engagement ring and set the stone from your DF into a band. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards