Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Diamond is loose - prong bent or something

So I just got my ring appraised and insured and last night while I was looking at some lovely rings on the boards I happened to brush mine and and the diamond spun around.  I freaked out. It's so loose I can shake it.  I thought I might have hurt it but I don't think I did.  

I couldn't even get it repaired today because I had to sit around all day and wait for a couch.  I was so bummed.   My diamond is not a flawless one by any means but its beautiful but now that's its all turned around the markings are more visible to me for some reason.  I think its more that now that its not steady and its moving the light doesn't shine through it and make it as wonderfully sparkly.

I cant wait until tomorrow to fix it, part of the reason I'm freaking out is because the prongs had to be repaired when we got it.  Only one of the originals is left and I'm wondering if that's the one that bent.  I just hope there able to tighten the prongs and not damage the diamond and I can get it back to all sparkly and beautiful.  The setting is grandma's so its important to me but boy was that a scare.  

It was so weird to not wear it all day today.

Has anyone else had this problem and was it also super scary?  Did they do a good job and not damage any thing?  And when did you have to go back and fix it if ever?

Re: Diamond is loose - prong bent or something

• Options
    Don't wear it until you get it fixed. The more you wear it the more likely you are to lose the stone. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    My mom actually lost her diamond once because the prongs got loose like that (she found it, it was at home). They fixed the prongs just fine, she hasn't had a problem since. Since diamonds are so hard and gold is so soft, prongs do fail eventually,  that's why they say to get it checked every so often.  

Like PP said, absolutely do not wear it until you get it fixed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for your posts.  I took it in today and they fixed it free of charge and shined the diamond up real nice.  I am super happy that my finger is no longer naked (I put it in the original box until it was fixed.)

My setting is actually platinum.  But I've heard that can get bent too, plus one of the prongs is still totally original so its 59 years old.  I'm guessing at some point it too will have to be replaced but they left it for now.  

One less thing off my to do list.  Back to wedding planning. :)

• Options

This happened with a ring/necklace that my FI bought me for our first Christmas. It was tanzanite really pretty and I swear I never took it off. Well that lasted about 3 months when I was in a meeting at work and realized the one stone on the ring was missing, there were 3 but I was down to 2. We never found the missing one. He took the ring to the jewler and they said the prong was bent which caused me to lose it.

So absolutely don't wear it if it's lose. Get it fixed and ask if they can just repair the prong or if they have to replace completely. Maybe they can just reinforce it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A good jeweler should be able to fix this so that the ring is both durable and beautiful. Your ring finger might feel a little "naked" but the best bet is too wait until the reparis have been made!

Congrats on your engagement and happy wedding planning!

Your friends at http://www.imgjewelers.com
  • Options
    The good thing is that diamonds are rarely damaged unless by other diamonds.  If they're heavily flawed, they're mroe likely to crack than one with fewer flaws in it, but don't worry about the diamond as much now that the setting is fixed.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards