Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Do I register for my engagement party??

My fiance and I have been living together for 2 1/2 years and we already have a house full of appliances etc. People keep asking if we are registrered for our party and I keep telling them I don't know what to do. I know it makes it easier for the guests, so they know what to bring, but is it worth it?

Re: Do I register for my engagement party??

• Options
    In my circle e-parties are not gift giving events.  We received a few bottles of wine and that was about it.

But, I would say that if many people are asking then it might be easier to create a small registry.
  • Options
    Generally, Engagement parties are not gift-giving events like showers, apart from some people brining a hostess gift like a bottle of wine. If people ask, tell them that no gift is required and you will register before you have a shower, or before the wedding, whatever is the case.

Think of it this way, if you register for your e-party, they it makes it seem like you expect an engagement present and a wedding present. To me, these celebrate the same occaision and therefore only one gift is customary. However, in some circles, people give a shower gift AND a wedding gift, but that is not MY circle..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    in my circle, engagement parties are gift giving events, and you usually get your china, crystal, and silver at them. i received all 16 settings of all of that at my e-party. i was hesitant at first about registering, but it ended up being a good idea. i wouldnt want lots of random presents, like 5 espresso machines or something. if it isnt customary in your circle, it will look gift grabby.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Engagement parties aren't normally gift giving events and if people bring gifts, they're normally bottles of wine or something small like that.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I don't think I will register, I'll let the guests decide what they want to do, bring a gift or no gift.
  • Options
    why can't your guests just enjoy themselves at your party? I don't think engagement gifts are necessary. If I got an engagement invite with registry information I would feel like it's a gift grab.
  • Options
    In my circle engagement paties are gift giving events. However, we did not register for our e-party. It's really up to you.

http://www.soulfulengagements.com/1/post/2009/10/q-should-we-register-for-our-engagement-party.html
  • Options
    Because of the CLEAR disagreement on this topic, my fiance and I decided to rgister, but not put it on the invitations.  That way, if people ask, we can tell them, but if they don't plan on bringing a gift, it's not like we're telling them they should.  I mean if you're going to register anyway, why not get started?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards