Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement party rules

Is it really very tacky for a couple to host their own engagement party? We just purchased a new home and were thinking of have a casual get-together (probably an outdoor barbeque) this spring as a sort of housewarming/ engagement celebration. We aren't expecting any gifts, we'd just like to enjoy the time with friends and family. Should we specify 'No Gifts Please' on the invites, or does that seem presumptuous? I don't want to break any rules here right off the bat! Thanks ladies :)

Re: Engagement party rules

• Options
    Ditto Lucy.  Just tell your friends and family you're having a party.  Don't call it a housewarming or engagement party.  You're just throwing a fun party.  Then no one will feel obligated to bring gifts, because you don't bring gifts to a casual party.
  • Options
    I think that is just what we will do- Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Yup, just tell them you are having a party. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I disagree about the no gifts. We wanted to have an engagement party in my hometown to celebrate with friends and family there but we did not want people to think we we're doing it to get more gifts. My parents hosted it. We said no gifts by saying the only gift we wanted was the pleasure of their company. People who wanted to ignore it did. Most were quite happy to just come and celebrate. Saying no gifts does not mean you were otherwise expecting one. It is letting people know there is no obligation, which many people think is the case when invited to any wedding parties. At least in my humble opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker Me: 37 DH: 40 Married: 7/31/2011 TTC since September 2011 BFP: Nov. 22, 2012 EDD: July 29, 2013
  • Options
    Hello,  i am going to be planning an engagement party for my mom.  I am looking for something on clearwater beach.  Any suggestions
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagement-party-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:4c3f02cb-83cb-48d3-b483-4b3623971f34Post:1cddf51c-e1a0-467b-849f-0c0c81790678">Re: Engagement party rules</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello,  i am going to be planning an engagement party for my mom.  I am looking for something on clearwater beach.  Any suggestions
    Posted by karinne2164[/QUOTE]

Post this on a local Fla. area baord.  This board is international, and most can't help with specifics like this.  Links to local wedding boards are on your left.

OP:  I agree with the others:  you can have a lovely party at your new home, and just have it be a party.  Remember, not everything between today and your wedding has to be related to your wedding.

GL.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Hosting your own engagement party is tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards