Just Engaged and Proposals

Do you clean with your ring on?

Odd question, but do you remove your ring before you do dishes, clean the bathroom, use any sort of harsh chemical? The ring maker as I call him told me it's ok to use all that, as well as use windex to restore the shine. But just curious.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

Re: Do you clean with your ring on?

• I never take my ring off no matter what I do. I guess I'm just afraid I will loose it.
    Anniversary
  • I take my ring off to cook and clean (if I'm cleaning with chemicals).  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I only take it off when I'm cleaning if my hands would be submerged in chemicals or something.  Otherwise I leave it on to dust, vacuum, wash bathrooms, floors whatever.  Although I do take it off when I'm baking or cooking anything that might be sticky and I take it off when I shower.  I rarely take it off.  My ring is under warranty through kay and I have the lifetime guarantee and I can have the white gold replated and I can have it clean as often as i want.  So I don't worry about it too much
    Photobucket
  • I never take my ring off. I work as a waitress so I made sure to tell him I wanted a reasonable ring (i.e.- not massive). This ring started out as a promise ring then we got it resized for my engagement ring. This little ring (3/4 ct. solitary diamond) has help up through a lot in the 1.5 years its been on my hand.

But I would take it off if I could (I have large knuckles but my finger is small at the base...)
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I was just wondering since I have yet to take it off. I'm afraid of loosing it even though it's covered under our renters insurance, as well as my fingers have a tendency to swell, so at times i really can't take it off.
    Just wanted to make sure i'm not going to damage it in the long run.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• I wear it for everything but when I put lotion on, and then I take it off as I apply the lotion and then put it right back on. Jewelry is meant to be worn. There's a reason most jewelers offer "spa treatments" where they buff out scratches and re-rhodium plate... it's expected.
  • I don't wear mine if I'm "doing" anything....cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_clean-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:58883ccd-dde9-47ad-8fb1-da1f619911ffPost:e56db83f-5b8e-488e-91a0-9dcfbf4ee138">Re: Do you clean with your ring on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only take it off when I'm cleaning if my hands would be submerged in chemicals or something.  Otherwise I leave it on to dust, vacuum, wash bathrooms, floors whatever.  Although I do take it off when I'm baking or cooking anything that might be sticky and I take it off when I shower.  I rarely take it off.  My ring is under warranty through kay and I have the lifetime guarantee and I can have the white gold replated and I can have it clean as often as i want.  So I don't worry about it too much
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MrsQ2011MrsQ2011 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I take mine off before I clean (most of the time) for a couple of reasons;

1. my ring is a little loose because of how my band fits (it wraps around the engagement ring and makes a tighter fit)

and 2. Some cleaing chemicals can cloud your diamond if you dont clean it properly after it comes in contact with the chemical.

I would suggest getting a ring holder and putting in the kitchen or bathroom and whenever you take it off (which you never want to do ofcourse ;)  ) putting it there. that way it stays clear and clean and you always know where it is if you take if off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I take mine off to cook and clean and I clean it with a jewelery cleaner about once per month or right before a special occasion or holiday. I have a little ring holder by the kitchen sink where I always leave it.

I'm surprised your jeweler suggested Windex. I had thought the ammonia in it was too harsh?
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_clean-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:58883ccd-dde9-47ad-8fb1-da1f619911ffPost:2dd396e5-c82d-4996-b535-7e024e4dfc42">Re: Do you clean with your ring on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take mine off to cook and clean and I clean it with a jewelery cleaner about once per month or right before a special occasion or holiday. I have a little ring holder by the kitchen sink where I always leave it. I'm surprised your jeweler suggested Windex. I had thought the ammonia in it was too harsh?
    Posted by jerseydevil[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, but the jewelry said the amount of ammonia is very minimal, as well as most types of "windex" are phasing out the use of ammonia to become more "green". And surprisingly, it does a great job of removing any cloudiness from the diamonds. He said it's a better cheaper option than spending $20 or more on jewelry cleaner that has the same chemicals and ingredients.

• If I'm using harsh chemicals that will get on my hands I take my ring off.  It depends on my mood if I take it off to shower, do dishes etc.  But our jeweler gave us a free thing of cleaner so I'm fortunate to be able to clean my ring if soap starts to make it look dingy.
    Anniversary
  • jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_clean-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:58883ccd-dde9-47ad-8fb1-da1f619911ffPost:637edaca-c0df-442f-87f6-d2bb7053ed3a">Re: Do you clean with your ring on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I'm using harsh chemicals that will get on my hands I take my ring off.  It depends on my mood if I take it off to shower, do dishes etc.  But our jeweler gave us a free thing of cleaner so I'm fortunate to be able to clean my ring if soap starts to make it look dingy.
    Posted by Mandalynn9112[/QUOTE]

Couldn't help but notice that you are getting married 1 day before us :)

• The first week i took it off to do EVERYTHING, i was crazy about something happening to it. LoL. But ive calmed down and was told its okay to wear when im doing household chores... But i am still in the habit of taking it off when i shower. I think that has more to do with clawing myself though... Even with the very small stone setting i keep taking out chunks of skin. LoL

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I only take mine off to shower and tan
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I leave mine on for the most part, it's covered under insurance if anything happens, but I think that the wear and tear of daily wear will only add to the memories that I'm sure it will come to represent. My father lost his wedding ring so I am hesitant to take it off.
    "Still after all this time? Always." Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I only take mine off to shower and if I'm using crazy soaps to scrub something. Otherwise I pretty much keep it on.
  • I took it off when I touched up my hair color, but other than that I leave it on basically all the time. My parents and FI were like "it was meant to be worn the rest of your life". I guess I took that a little too seriously. That and the one time I took it off, I forgot to put it back on, and I felt terrible because I went a whole day and a half without it. So then when I have to take it off, I just slip it on a necklace chain that I wear around my neck, and that way I'll remember to put it back on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I take mine off a lot, to work out, to shower, when baking, doing dishes... I'm also taking a trip in a few weeks will not take it out on the lake.  Of course, mine is a little loose right now and needs to be resized and the diamond is FIs grandmothers and is basically irreplaceable (the way it was cut is not used anymore since it was cut in the late 1800s early 1900s), so I'm a little paranoid about it.  I have friends that also take theirs off to swim, which I would do if I had been in a pool since getting it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards