Ohio-Northeast

flowers in October

I was on the phone with my mom last night talking about flowers for my October 2010 wedding and she asked if I'd like her to grow all of them in her yard. Like everyone else, I am on a tight budget so if this works it would help tremendously! Has anyone done this before?? I don't even know what flowers are in bloom in October in Cleveland!! Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!
Anniversary

Re: flowers in October

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done that, but I think it's a cool idea. If she's got a 'green thumb', go for it! (You could always buy flowers at a garden center as backup, if they don't grow as expected.) Mums would be a great option. They bloom in both spring and fall, and come in a wide variety of colors. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I grew some, my mom grew some and FMIL grew some. It just depends on your level of gardening experience! FMIL is a serious gardener and she will probably have a LOT to choose from (Wedding is next weekend). We will have dahlias and zinnias. My sister was supposed to have hydrangeas, haven't heard back on that. It was a tough situation for me, it was a summer of "I hope they turn out" and "what exactly are you looking for". It was a crap shoot, I am not very flexible on the colors (but who is when you put so much effort into designing stuff to coordinate!?!?). I decided to avoid clashing and will just use some of the flowers that are close at the ceremony and possibly to decorate the patio outside of the reception. The flowers for my centerpieces I ordered from costco and those Should all coordinate well with the rest of my decor. Long story short, it can be stressful if you have a certain expectation, but if you are completely flexible go for it, just have a back up like costco or sam's. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards