Ohio-Northeast

Question:Engagement Photos

So, we're taking our engagement photos at the begining of October! I am excited, but also nervous about being the photo subject since I am normally the photographer.Anyways, I wanted to ask all of you what you did to prepare for the engagement photos. I am planning to get my hair cut a week before the pictures, get brows waxed and buy a new outfit.Should I also think about getting my makeup done professionally, nails done etc?? My hesitation with getting makeup done is I want to look like my natural self in these pics:)TIA!

Re: Question:Engagement Photos

• K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I spent a truly embarassing amount of time last night thinking about what we're going to wear in our e-pics (currently scheduled for Sept. 13!) And in the end, nothing was really resolved. =/ As for me, I think I am going to get professional hair and makeup (if possible as our e-pics will be on a Sunday when not as many salons are open) but probably just do my nails at home in a very neutral light pink. I usually keep them pretty short anyway.
  • gavinma17gavinma17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our e-pics done in early April.  We planned our outfits and then the weather got really cold and wet.  Thus, the adorable outfit I picked was covered by my jacket (you can see from my pic below).  I wouldn't stress too much about the outfit...be comfortable and confident in what you choose!I got my makeup and my nails done, but did my own hair.  I don't wear makeup except for special occasions and I didn't feel overdone at all.  I used Megan from the Dior counter at Dillards in Southpark Mall.  She did a trial and a the day of look and all I bought was the foundation...no other charge.  She is also doing all the make up for the big day!  HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I got a trim, but I did my own make-up and wore clothes that I already own.  We wore similar outfits in the fact that we both wore blue on top and khaki on the bottom.  My husband wore a sky blue collar shirt and I wore a teal baby tee.I think you should make a point of looking like you, not looking like a "made up" version of you.  I understand that you want to look nice, but be sure to look nice as if you're going to a job interview or nice dinner with relatives in maybe more casual clothing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    i did pretty much nothing--I did my own hair and makeup.  We used clothes we already had and didn't really decide until the morning of what to wear--I had sort of in my head what we should wear and it worked out. 
  • KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my FI and I are getting our e-pics done Sept 20th, and I am stressing about this as well! I'm just doing my own make up, because I just want to look like I do everyday...saving the fancy make up job for the wedding day! I might get a manicure though because I have the worst, thin pealy nails ever and I want them to look nice! I am getting brows waxed and FI and I are buying new outfits too...nothing fancy though since we will be at the zoo! So, I would say if you like the way your daily make up looks, then do it yourself...maybe wear a little more than normal so it shows up in pictures.
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I chose outfits from clothes we already had - we just made sure that the coordinated.  I went to a salon to have my hair blown out, but in no way did I have it "done".  I also did my own make-up because I wanted to look like me.  Engagement pictures aren't supposed to be as fancy as wedding pictures - they're way more casual.  Just be you and go as you would to a nice evening out or a holiday with family.  Personally, I think it would be a waste of money to get a manicure and make-up done professionally -- unless, of course, this is something that you do on a regular basis!  Trust me, it's nothing to stress about.  I think we both wore jeans, and I had a polo and he had a button down shirt - totally something we would wear on a normal basis.  Most important thing to remember: JUST BE YOU!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i really dont think you should go out of yoru comfort level. do your makeup naturally how you would i wouldnt get a hair cut a week before maybe a month. because if something goes wrong with the cut you want to be prepared for anything (and your hair wont grow back that fast) its good to get waxed and a new outfit is always great but just be yourselves! if you want to get your makeup done... go to a mac/chanel desk at the mall and ask them-- they wont charge a lot if they even do charge. and just tell them you want something natural looking.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • vmcelhanvmcelhan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our e-pics were on the beach the day after SIL's wedding, so my hair was still in tact and in a nice up-do, brows waxed, and nails done.  worked out nicely for me, but i don't think i would've gone and done all that if i hadn't been in the wedding.  definitely get an outfit and haircuts, put a fresh coat of polish on your nails because you'll most likely be showing off your ring in the e-pics.  makeup, hair, brows, etc, is your personal preference i think, if you can afford the splurge i would do it :) as for attire, we went with black collared tops, i had a button down, he had a polo, blue jeans, and flip flops/bare feet.  after seeing the pics, i wish we would've gone with white tops, because the black mushed together in some of the pics and you couldn't tell where i ended and he began. we didn't do outfit changes either, im not a dressy person and i didn't want a formal feeling with the pics, we got enough of that from the wedding. GL and have fun!
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, except for the hair cut part - but only because my hair would look less fresh after only a few days - a month would totally change my look. In other words, you know what works best for you in that regard, so do what you think is best! Staying in your comfort zone is very important - if you're uncomfortable, it will show in your pictures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies for all the words of encouragement! I think I am going to do a bit of pampering prior to the day of, but no pro makeup or anything like that. I usually wear basic makeup day to day so I would look not like me all made up.Also, Val, I read what you wrote about both of wearing black and instead wanting to wear white. I am a part time photographer and my best advice for couples is to wear complimentary colors. White is hard to photograph as is black when both are wearing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards