Ohio-Northeast

Receiving Line/Greeting guest

Hello all!  I am hoping you all can provide some suggestions for what you all did for receiving lines or greeting your guests at your wedding.  We are getting married at 1:30pm (Catholic Mass) and our cocktail hour starts at 5:30pm.  So, given an hour for mass, plus taking pictures at church and then driving to have our pictures before reception, I am just having a hard time figuring out what I want to do.  I don't want to make people wait after the ceremony to do the send off while we do the receiving line, and I have no idea how to set it up during cocktails/before reception.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Receiving Line/Greeting guest

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FWIW, we did a 'pew release' right after our 3:30pm (non catholic) ceremony. At the close of the ceremony, the pastor asked that everyone remain in their seats as the bride & groom would return to release everyone row by row. I don't know how many guests you have though. We had about 175 and IIRC it took us about 20 min. I would think that any more than 200 and it could get long. We stood in the center aisle at the end of each pew (starting from the front, working our way back), greeting people as they left the pew and exited down that main aisle. We didn't do a send-off after the ceremony though. Guests were instructed to go directly to the reception (5pm start). We took church photos while guests mingled w/ cocktails.You could either do a receiving line without a send-off at the church, OR skip the church receiving line, do the send-off and make sure that you and DH arrive for the entire cocktail hour and mingle with ALL guests during that. Hopefully, someone who's done that can chime in, but I would think the cocktail hour stuff would be more casual. Then, the introduction of bridal party would happen toward the end of the cocktails, as the actual party was starting.Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings (mostly Catholic because you'll need a big gap between the ceremony & reception) where the bride and groom, WP, and parents got to the reception site before the guests and so they did the receiving line at the reception, during cocktail hour, as guests were arriving. The B&G and the parents stood at the main entrance to the room and just greeted all the guests as they entered. Seemed to work out pretty well imo. Then basically right before dinner was about to be served, the DJ did the formal introductions of the WP and the B&G.
  • golf*bridegolf*bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a Catholic mass at 11am and did not do a receiving line at the church.  Reception started at 6, and we greeted guests with our parents as guests walked into the reception.  We didn't have the entire bridal party in the receiving line.  Hope that helps!
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a 1:30pm Catholic Mass with a cocktail hour beginning at 6:00pm.  Our church only gave us 30 minutes after the mass to take pictures, so we decided that a receiving line at the church didn't make any sense for us (it would take way too long and we really wanted those formal pictures).  So, we got through the ceremony, did a quick "send-off", took pictures in the church, took our outdoor pictures and arrived at the reception hall 30 mins. early (which, by the way, works out perfectly if you want to have a chance to check out the room/cake/etc. and work on the bussel/taking off the veil).  We lined up at 6:00pm in time for the guests to arrive.  The receiving line consisted of my parents, DH's parents and us (obviously). Guests started forming a line instantly, which was wonderful.  We didn't have to chase anyone down later AND we didn't have to "make the rounds" to every single table after dinner. Instead, we were actually able to enjoy our reception because all the thank-yous had already been taken care of!  I wouldn't change it for anything!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vmcelhanvmcelhan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we dismissed our guest by row as well.  that way, it didn't put our BP in the awkward position of having to say hello to people that they don't even know.  it also helped us stick to our schedule.  he released his side, i released mine, and we were done, out, and doing our grand exit, less than 15 minutes after our ceremony.  it was so much better than having to kiss and hug and shake hands for an hour and get behind schedule.  we also went around to tables during our reception, but because we technically greeted everyone at the church, we didn't get too caught up in saying hello to absolutely everyone.  worked out great for everyone, HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    i think im going to have the ushers release the guests row by row and as they walk towards the door FI and I will thank them for coming see you later and as that happens everyone will meet outside and wait with the petals and bubbles... then either we will take some quick pics with family and such then walk out and do the "send off thing" or just do the send off thing for pictures then as the guests go back to the reception well go back into the church take the pcitures then go somewhere else and take some more pics. typically these are the two choices ive seen at weddings ive been to.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards