Just Engaged and Proposals

Yay! Engaged! When to start planning?

Hi all. First post! I just got engaged to my college sweet heart after being together almost 4 years! He asked me at a Botanical Garden under a beautiful water fall! It was breathtaking and I couldn't believe it or the ring he picked out, love it!

So we were think an April or May 2014 wedding date. When do we start the planning? I am clueless on it all! When do we ask the Wedding part ro join us? 

Re: Yay! Engaged! When to start planning?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    You should probably start planning now b/c certain venues and vendors book up fast,  but don't ask your wedding party for a few more months. Start  by discussing the type of wedding you're both looking to have, then set a budget. Then make up a potential guest list and start looking at venues that accommodate those numbers.

BTW, your bio says your wedding is in 20 days, so you might fix that. Smile

Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Congratulations!!!

I assume you're in the Indy area? I got married in Muncie :)

I'd start planning now! You're just over a year out, and if you're aiming for May, things tend to book up fast! It kind of depends on what type of venue you're planning on, but outdoor starts becoming popular out there in May. The venue is probably the only major thing you need to think about right now. Once you have that, it really helps you envision what you want everything to look like.

You can wait a bit to ask the wedding party. A lot of people say 6 months, but I think anywhere between a year and 8 months out. We were already BM dress shopping at 10 months out, the same time I shopped for my wedding dress. DH waited a bit longer to ask all of the GMs, since tuxes aren't really anything you look at until 4-6 months out.

Have fun planning!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • Congratulations and welcome!  The proposal sounds like it was gorgeous!

I would suggest that you start your planning asap, especially for the venues (many venues get booked years ahead of time).

However, hold off on certain things, like picking your bridal party, until you are closer to the wedding (like 8 to 6 months out).  Relationships can change in unexpected ways, and life is easier if you wait a bit.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Like PPs said, it is a good idea to start looking at venues now.  We booked our venue a week after getting engaged, and a year from our wedding date, and we got the last date available for the summer.  We asked our wedding party about 10 months in advance.  We booked our photographer and DJ about 10 months out (as both of those book up in advance in my area), and we booked most of our other vendors 5-8 months out.  
  • Congratulations. We have already started planning. The venue we picked books quickly sometimes 2 years in advance for popular wedidng months
  • Congrats!!!

And like everyone said, start right this moment! Venues get booked like crazy and Spring weddings are always popoular.

Also, if you start looking into things now, you can have a firmer grasp on the size of your budget, PLUS if you go with having certain sepcial things (lets say, handcrafted invitations or something) you have more time to get them done.

Good luck!
  • Congrats! Very beautiful proposal. I agree with all PPs. I would say start planning now in very broad strokes- set your budget (that can take time) and talk to your FI about what you both agree on to spend on different areas. Start looking at venues and don't be afraid to book one ahead of time. You can get started on some of the other details over the next few months.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_yay-engaged-when-to-start-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:5d900503-b520-4b63-b903-62009b5095bdPost:28d9bced-dc77-4152-8f50-19baea2b17c9">Yay! Engaged! When to start planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all. First post! I just got engaged to my college sweet heart after being together almost 4 years! He asked me at a Botanical Garden under a beautiful water fall! It was breathtaking and I couldn't believe it or the ring he picked out, love it! So we were think an April or May 2014 wedding date. When do we start the planning? I am clueless on it all! When do we ask the Wedding part ro join us? 
    Posted by SES2014Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm planning for next summer and have appointments on Saturday to check out venues. Saturday will be only 3 weeks engaged for us! My fiance wanted to take some time to chill, but I really want to get a venue set so we're not too limited with dates.</div>
    Anniversary
  • <span><p dir="ltr" align="left">Hello and congratulations on your recent engagement! I am sure you are very excited but a little overwhelmed to begin the planning process for your big day. I wanted to introduce myself as the Sales Manager at the Residence Inn Arlington Courthouse by Marriott. We provide top of the line hotel accommodations while also offering all the comforts of home for your guests to best enjoy your busy weekend. Located in the North Arlington neighborhood of Courthouse, we are close to the vibrant restaurant, bar and shopping scene of Clarendon as well just a short distance from some of Arlington’s most popular event venues. I would love to have you the hotel for a tour so that you can see the accommodations that we can offer for your out-of-town guests during your event weekend. For more information please contact me at (703) 312-2103 or <a href="mailto:Claire.sussman@riacva.com" rel="nofollow"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><span><u><font color="#0000ff">Claire.sussman@riacva.com</font></u></span></font></font></a><font face="Calibri" size="3"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><span> or visit our website: </span></font></font><a href="http://www.marriott.com/wasca" rel="nofollow"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><span><u><font color="#0000ff">www.marriott.com/wasca</font></u></span></font></font></a><font face="Calibri" size="3"><font face="Calibri" size="3"><span>. </span></font></font></p></span>
    Best,
    Claire

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_yay-engaged-when-to-start-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:5d900503-b520-4b63-b903-62009b5095bdPost:28d9bced-dc77-4152-8f50-19baea2b17c9">Yay! Engaged! When to start planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all. First post! I just got engaged to my college sweet heart after being together almost 4 years! He asked me at a Botanical Garden under a beautiful water fall! It was breathtaking and I couldn't believe it or the ring he picked out, love it! So we were think an April or May 2014 wedding date. When do we start the planning? I am clueless on it all! When do we ask the Wedding part ro join us? 
    Posted by SES2014Bride[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards