Ohio-Northeast

Raising children catholic

Not sure if anyone will be able to help out with this question or not. My FI and I were both raised Catholic, however, do not practice any longer.  We are planning on getting married in a nondenominational church, however, are undecided because we may want to raise our children catholic when we have them.  My question is, if we do not get married in the Catholic church, and then want to raise our kids catholic, will they allow us to do this or not?  I always thought the answer is no because they will not see our marriage as valid, but I want some clarification.Thanks!!

Re: Raising children catholic

• aswoapaswoap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not positive but my mom and dad did not get married in a Catholic church and my father doesn't have a set religion yet I went to Catholic schools my whole life and was raised Catholic. I don't know if that is because my mom was Catholic or not. Did you check the dioseses website? They may have answers to questions like that. If not I can ask my FIL's they would probably know!
  • AshleeB85AshleeB85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for that! I did check the diocese website and could not find anything. I have also tried looking other places as well and cannot get a definate answer.  If you could try and find out anything else I would totally appreciate it!!! Thanks!
  • aswoapaswoap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was curious so I googled it... this site was helpful http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081223151055AAc5mTM Not to sound negitive, not the Catholic religion isn't the most popular now adays, I can't imagine them turning down people who wanted to raise their children in the church! Hope that helps!
  • aswoapaswoap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok! I called my mom (my grandma used to work at our church) and she said you'd be able to raise your children Catholic as long as you were baptized and you had intentions of raising your children correctly in the eyes of the church. I hope that helps!
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!! I appreciate all of your help!!! 
  • mocklerjamocklerja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had relatives who have gone through this recently.  They were married by her brother (who is a pastor for a different religion) and when they went to get their second child baptized (my Goddaughter) they were "encouraged" to get married in the Church.  They ended up having a quick ceremony with just some witnesses on a Friday evening about 4 years after getting married originally.  I think it really depends on the church you are interested in possibly baptizing/sending them to school to. I have another relative who did not marry in the church and had one of their kids baptized and attends Catholic school and had no known problems with no having been married in the Church.  HTH!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My sister (Presbyterian) and her husband (Catholic) were married by a Presbyterian pastor at a country club (not even married in a church). They had a child about a year and a half ago and had him baptized in a Caltholic church. They did not have any issues getting their son baptized in a Catholic church even though they did not have a Catholic wedding. They did have to sign something before the baptism indicting that they would raise their son as Catholic. They are sending him to Catholic school when he gets old enough.
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your input! That gives me a little clarification!    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards