Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engangment Party?

My boyfriend and I just got enganged and we were thinking about having an engangment party.  We already no where we want to do it..at a restaurant in a neighborhood we both grow up. But we don't plan on getting married until we finish college in about two years from right now. So when should we have our engangment party? And who should come? Colse family and friends or everyone we are thinging about inviting to our wedding?

Re: Engangment Party?

• Options
    edited March 2010
    My boyfriend and I just got enganged and we were thinking about having an engangment party.  We already no where we want to do it..at a restaurant in a neighborhood we both grow up. But we don't plan on getting married until we finish college in about two years from right now. So when should we have our engangment party? And who should come? Colse family and friends or everyone we are thinging about inviting to our wedding?
  • Options
    JessAndTravJessAndTrav member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2010
    1. Learn to spell engaged.
    2. Just learn how to spell.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've never been enganged so I don't know how to help you.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_engangment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:5134ea5a-0212-4845-95d2-d4436cb4f4ccPost:cdfb7112-d263-4931-acfb-41cedaae260c">Engangment Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My boyfriend and I just got <strong>enganged</strong> and we were thinking about having an <strong>engangment</strong> party.  We already no where we want to do it..at a restaurant in a neighborhood we both grow up. But we don't plan on getting married until we finish college in about two years from right now. So when should we have our <strong>engangment</strong> party? And who should come? Colse family and friends or everyone we are thinging about inviting to our wedding?
    Posted by MyJuanAndonly12[/QUOTE]

<div>Please define the bolded words. Thanks.</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2010

If someone were to throw you an engagement party and it appears you are having a long engagement (2 years, correct?) it should be around 1-3 months after your engagement.  Although with longer engagements I've heard it's ok to have a party up to a year before to the wedding. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Wow ladies.... Really?

My Juan, definitely don't invite anyone that you won't be inviting to the wedding.  This can be frustrating when you don't know how large your guest list can be, but people's feelings get hurt really easily.  It's best to keep it to family and close friends.

I think a home party is most appropriate, and it should probably be hosted by someone other than you and FI.

Congratulations on your engagement, and have fun planning!

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engangment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:6d19bd9d-e5c7-4829-96cf-df7ba2efe063Post:5c9c5c27-ab81-4da5-84c4-91cdeb6d43c0">Re: Engangment Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow ladies.... Really? My Juan, definitely don't invite anyone that you won't be inviting to the wedding.  This can be frustrating when you don't know how large your guest list can be, but people's feelings get hurt really easily.  It's best to keep it to family and close friends. I think a home party is most appropriate, and it should probably be hosted by someone other than you and FI. Congratulations on your engagement, and have fun planning!
    Posted by NillaWafer10[/QUOTE]

It's rude to throw your own party, end of story.  Just don't do it. The rest of your post is correct, with not inviting people who won't be invited to the wedding.
  • Options
    As far as timing I would wait to have an engagement party for a little bit since you're having a relatively long engagement, but the e-party should definitely be closer to your engagement then your wedding. Ours was a year before our wedding and 3 months after being engaged.

Our e-party was only immediate family and it was more of an introduction of our two families than a big "look at us" type of party. If you start inviting friends and co-workers and everyone that would be invited to the wedding then it's like having 2 receptions. 

Also I wouldn't throw my own engagement party. Wait and see if someone offers to throw you one. If not and you still want to get your families together to meet then I would just have a party and leave off the "engagement"
  • Options
    You don't throw an engagement party for yourself. I know everyone else said it, but still - don't do it! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engangment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:6d19bd9d-e5c7-4829-96cf-df7ba2efe063Post:0d57359b-d491-42ae-8d5d-08c3ad4b796b">Re: Engangment Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't throw your own engagement party. Its rude. If someone offers, than great. And if you invite people to prewedding parties and things they also need to be invited to the wedding, so think about that before you invite a bunch of people. A lot of things can change in the two years until your wedding.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

This.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Maybe just invite close friends out, or have a dinner party to introduce key family members and friends. I agree that throwing an engagement "party" is something that someone else should do for you, otherwise it comes across as self-centered, and with all the money that will already be dropped on a wedding and reception, why spend more?
       As for other brides-to-be acting as spelling and grammar coaches, maybe drop the superiority complex and if it bothers you don't respond. Obviously, you know what she's talking about. We're all here on the common ground of seeking friendly advice on the in's and out's of something most women don't have alot of experience in. How about a little maturity? No need to attack someone on something so trivial as their spelling.
  • Options
    Ditto pp's.. please don't throw your own engagement party. Pre-wedding parties should be thrown for you and people who are invited should also be invited to the wedding. 

I also agree engagement parties are best when thrown at someone's home and it helps it give a more intimate feel. Our engagement party was a month and a half after we got engaged and was thrown by both sets of our parents. It was a cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and my mom got a cake from a local bakery. The only people invited were family and close friends we planned on asking to be in our bridal party and their significant others. 
  • Options
    Ok well first off I wrote this post about 1am after working and school--so give me a f***ing break on spelling. Like one of the other girl's said, if you don't like it then don't respond.  This whole website is for helping each other--not to b*tch about spelling.  So step off if you don't like it.

For others that responded appropriately, my family and my boyfriend's family have never met and I'm pretty sure no one will throw us an ENGAGEMENT party.  So this E-party was really for our families to meet on a happy occasion. 

Also someone mentioned we should have it at someone house.  Well my boyfriend's mom is handicapped and lives in a retirement community and my parent's house isn’t handicap accessible.. that's why I mentioned a little restaurant.

Thanks for the help

• Options
    Ok, but the etiquette still stands. You can have it at a restaurant, but it needs to be hosted by someone, like your parents. If they bring it up, great, tell them your restaurant idea. Them not having a handicapped accessble house doesn't make throwing your own e-party NOT rude.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    BlueBride11BlueBride11 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engangment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:6d19bd9d-e5c7-4829-96cf-df7ba2efe063Post:afe45723-1de2-4c37-8bab-6914a1af92d5">Re: Engangment Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Learn to spell engaged. 2. Just learn how to spell.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

Wow... this shows what kind of life you have... Sitting on the knot as the spelling police. Get a hobby you have  too much free time. same goes to you <a href="http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/default.aspx?membershipid=7833749751025290&plckUserId=7833749751025290" target="_blank" class="username_knot">RachNRich</a>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engangment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6d19bd9d-e5c7-4829-96cf-df7ba2efe063Post:d1315110-214c-4dad-a90c-265e8d828b7e">Re: Engangment Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engangment Party? : Wow... this shows what kind of life you have... Sitting on the knot as the spelling police. Get a hobby you have  too much free time. same goes to you RachNRich
    Posted by BlueBride11[/QUOTE]

Then what does it say about you when you pop on message boards telling people you don't know how they should talk to other people you don't know?

Busybody much?
  • Options
    If your goal is for your family and close friends to meet for the first time, but don't anticipate someone offering to host an engagement party for you, then simply invite these people for a nice dinner.  Hold it at your own place or a restaurant. You host. You pay. Don't expect gifts and don't call it an engagement party--it's just sort of an introduction dinner.
  • Options
    If you want to throw your own "Engagement" party then go ahead, who cares?! This whole etiquette thing is kind of ridiculous.

My fiance and I are throwing our own party at a relatives house that is central to everyone, and it will be a simple backyard bbq and chance for our families to meet. We are hosting it, sending the invites and paying for the food and decor... but we also mentioned it's a potluck so if people want to bring a dish to share then fine by us, if not we don't care. We, and neither do our friends or family, think it's "rude" to throw a party and call it an engagemnet party. Why shouldn't we call it that? That's what it's for isn't it?! We aren't asking for people to come bearing gifts, we just want to have a good time with people who care about us.

So go ahead and throw your own party and call it what you want. It all comes down to a day to celebrate your new future together and introduce people to each other. Period. And I don't care that you mispelled some words. Anyone hear of typo? Whoops.

Congrats to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards