Ohio-Northeast
Options

Everyone is making this more difficult!!!

So...I know I have plenty of time before we have to order bridesmaids dresses, like probably won't even order them until January which still gives us 9 months....but my MIL keeps talking about buying extra fabric to make straps on a dress that is strapless!  I guess when my Fiances sister got married last year, his younger sis and another girl in the bridal party added straps to their dress....so now my MIL thinks that we should do that too.  The whole point of getting a strapless dress was for it be to strapless!  Besides that, there are 8 bridesmaids and if only 1 has straps, it'll look so weird...and I'll probably kill them for it!Any advice on how to deal with it?

Re: Everyone is making this more difficult!!!

• Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Explain to your MIL that you want everyone's dress to look uniform, and that you picked those particular dresses because they did not have straps. Tell her that's the look you are going for, and hopefully she will understand. Why did she offer in the first place, did one of your bridesmaids request straps?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She suggested it because in her daughter's wedding last year, that's what they did.  Obviously, I'm not her daughter but she loves to bring her daughter up every chance she can....and it drives me crazy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just a suggestion. i was at a wedding a couple weeks ago. which a fw girls had straps and the rest were strapless.... I didndnt really think anything of it~ of course you want your girls to all look the same but take this into consideration do they feel comfortalbe?? the girls in that wedding i went to... the two that i actually knew Hated the dress they had to wear. the one told me she felt so uncomfortable with how exposed she was in a church in the first place. i heard from my FI which was in the wedding party that one of the girls Fell Out of her top while bending over (wow embarressing) but try to take into account how comfortalbe your girls feel.... maybe they are not use to wearing something like that or do feel comfortalbe like that in a church. i think if some want straps i would allow them-- and VERY IMPORTANT! if they are very chesty with a strapless Please make them wear straps.... ! my godsister got marrued last year and her MOH looked so gross with her boobs all out in church and she could bend over to fix the brides train because she didnt want to fall out~ it was horrible esp in the church. just please be advised... see what the dress looks like on each girl then decide who needs straps and who doesnt.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    juliet1503juliet1503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also figure out why she's pushing the straps specifically, there has to be more than just that her daughter did it. Maybe pper is right, that at least one wants them on their dress for comfort? However, I think it's important to note that if the dress fits like it was intended (according to seamstress @ Julianne's and DB). . . no one should fall out of their top. Additionally, on a designed-as-strapless dress, the straps are there for the feeling of comfort and don't actually provide any support - the bra and upper bodice should be tight enough to do that. Be honest with her and if you find she's being unreasonable - it's your wedding and not hers. BUT, if the girls would like them, I'd seriously consider their wishes.
  • Options
    soontobemrs2soontobemrs2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, no advice. It;s kinda funny: Straps for a strapless dress!
  • Options
    lpalladlpallad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with flirtatious - definitely consider your BMs comfort in this - I am going to have my girls order strapless dresses but I am definitely giving them the option for straps because a few are a little chesty - we are also getting married in the Catholic Church and I want them to feel comfortable
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards