Ohio-Northeast
Options

Question: Donations in lieu of favors?

What do you girls think? My FI and I have been thinking about it. We are having the wedding in downtown cleveland and traveling from Fl. Our orginal idea of buckeyes is proving to be difficult to plan. We would like to do a donation to the scholarship fund that put us both in college and led us to each other. It is very meaningful to us but we're unsure how people would receive this idea? Any suggestions, ideas? Thanks!

Re: Question: Donations in lieu of favors?

• Options
    mzlildncrmzlildncr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a great idea. We are doing donations as well...Both of my grandpa's passes away this summer within 3 months of each other...so we are doing donations to 2 organizations, one for each of my grandpa's. I am going to make little nots for each dinner setting that says something along the lines of in lieu of favors, we have made donations in honor of ____ and ____ grandfather's of the bride in your name. I think that people will be happy about the donations b/c most of the time favors get left behind, or thrown away once you get them home...so I know our money will go to a good cause and it will keep my grandpa's close to our family at our wedding. I say do what you want...its your wedding and you know your money is going towards a good thing...GL!
  • Options
    kmbeyerkmbeyer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let me add.....since I just finished reading some rather nasty p&e boards about this.... *the card would not read "in lieu of" it would say something like "Thank you so much for sharing this day with us. As a token of our appreciation, a donation has been made in your honor to the Evan Scholars Foundation" *We are doing this b/c it is far more meaningful to us than sweets.... Thanks girls!
  • Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its a great idea and FI and I are doing this as well. We are making donations to Susan G Komen reastCancer Foundation, in memory of my dear friend who passed away 5 years ago, and in support of my mother who was just diagnosed. I know some people don't like the idea of a donation, but I really don't care lol. Just do what is right for you and FI
  • Options
    jenpt2006jenpt2006 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KT82-just wanted to say I am sorry to hear about your mom. My mom was just diagnosed as well. Hang in there! Hope you all get through this as smoothly as possible.
  • Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jenpt2006- thank you for the kind words. sorry to hear about your mom as well....keep fighting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If someone is offended that you are donating money to further someone's education rather than getting some type of sweet treat or candle favor, then they need to re-evaluate their priorities...go for the donation!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards