Just Engaged and Proposals

Proposal Dilemma - Need Help Quickly Please

I've been planning this day for 3 months. My location is only available on Feb 15.

She told me she wants me to surprise her

THE day is just 3 weeks away and now she tells me that the night (Feb 15) I want us to go to this event isn't good for her.

However, I think I can persuade her to go on that day but I have to be careful of course.

The previous night (Feb 14 Valentines) is good for her but the event is not on that day and it's too obvious.

My plan is for us to attend a public event that more than 1,000 will be at.

To try and set this up, we have been to a simliar event 3 times recently

I will go up on stage and invite her up for my proposal

Any ideas how I can change her mind without telling her my reason?
Thanks

Re: Proposal Dilemma - Need Help Quickly Please

• What event is it? If you can pursuade her, then do it. Are you SURE she'll be ok with the pressure of 2,000+ eyes looking at her as you pop the ??
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited January 2013
    I prefer not to mention specifics about the event. We will walk up on stage. However, I know she will be OK in that environment.
  • Well is it a religious event? Concert? Play? Fundraiser? Chamber of Commerce meeting? Stand-up comic? I don't need specifics, but some general info would be helpful, you know. Is there something exclusive about this particular date (1-time-only performance?)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Can you make up a totally different reason... like you want to take her to 'the place' but can you fib and tell her you have some other thing planned for her... just to get her there and ensure she will go? like meeting up with your family or a friend or some reason that she will buy.. ? like if you are wanting her to go to a 'concert'... tell her yall have plans with 'mom' ? would that work? Sorry i dont know specifics so im not sure how to suggest.
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • You should find out who she has plans with on the 15th and talk them into rescheduling Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-dilemma-need-help-quickly-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:90cccaeb-61aa-4efe-9954-6b6ed852e64fPost:7edba92e-9b22-48c5-bc4f-5ecbb49af2f7">Re: Proposal Dilemma - Need Help Quickly Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should find out who she has plans with on the 15th and talk them into rescheduling 
    Posted by GinaC20[/QUOTE]

This!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-dilemma-need-help-quickly-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:90cccaeb-61aa-4efe-9954-6b6ed852e64fPost:c6ac27a4-a0fb-4439-83ea-3963bcd83efd">Re: Proposal Dilemma - Need Help Quickly Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well is it a religious event? Concert? Play? I don't need specifics, but some general info would be helpful, you know. Is there something exclusive about this particular date (1-time-only performance?) Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]
    It's a big city event concert and I've only been given one date that I'm allowed to propose on stage with help from them.
  • Can you tell her that your Valentine's plans for her ended up having to be on the 15th? I don't think that would give it away but it would communicate that you have something special in the works.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-dilemma-need-help-quickly-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:90cccaeb-61aa-4efe-9954-6b6ed852e64fPost:a46efa30-63a9-4b2b-8d6f-e5fb46238f05">Re: Proposal Dilemma - Need Help Quickly Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you tell her that your Valentine's plans for her ended up having to be on the 15th? I don't think that would give it away but it would communicate that you have something special in the works.
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>thats a great idea!</div>
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • Using some good suggestions here and another idea, she has now agreed to attend the Friday night concert. I'm fearful of putting any more details here just in case any of her friends might be readers of this site. I'll post details in about 3 weeks.
  • This is going to be fun. We'll be in front of over 1,000 people. More after she says yes.
  • Last Friday night, in front of about 1,500 people at an Atlanta Symphony Orchestra concert, I proposed on stage to my girlfriend. It was an unbelieveable evening of course and here is what happened.

I'm all about surprises, the setup and I "believe" that I'm a very romantic guy. I wrote the ASO staff last October asking if I could propose to my GF on stage during or after a concert.

Friday nights concert "Viva Italia" was perfect for the occasion. It was a Valentines Day feast of great romantic songs of Italy that also included the wonderful vocal trio "Poperazzi." This was an extremely romantic concert as I found out. I've been rehearsing my words to say to her, on my way to and from work recently and also while I was sitting in my seat last night.

After the intermission, the conductor Michael Krajewski, had someone bring out an old time type of spinning ticket drum. He had told the audience that there was a special prize being awarded to two lucky ticket holders. He had the first chair violinist select the "winning tickets" which "just so happened" to be the seats my GF & I were sitting in.  So we were summoned on stage from our fifth row seats, to receive our prize.

When we got on stage Michael told us that he was not being completely honest with us (my GF looked confused) because there was a special reason why were brought on stage. Michael then told me "do, you want to say something?". Then, Michael held the microphone and  the first chair violinist stood up to quietly serenade us as I professed my love for my GF.

I spoke for about a minute, got down on my knee (a huge crowd ovation helped me) and with the engagement ring displayed, asked her to marry me. The conductor, Michael was wiping his forehead just wondering if she would say yes and you could hear some of the audience members verbally wondering what her answer would be. She waited EIGHT SECONDS before saying YES. I immediately threw my arms in the air as a huge relief that she said yes. She later told me that she just couldn't get ANY words out. 

I placed her ring on her trembling finger and then I gave her one red rose. We then hugged & kissed and Michael congratulated us. Michael asked her if I surprised her and she said "Oh Yeah". Michael then congratulated us and presented us with an engagement gift from the ASO, a toaster which I proudly showed to everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards