Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Did you know the proposal was coming?

And I don't mean a general feeling of knowing that you were going to end up getting married - I mean the actual proposal. Did you ever think it was coming at a specific time and it didn't happen? Did other people, your friends or family, know it was going to happen and keep it a secret?
Visit Purple.weddings.com

Re: Did you know the proposal was coming?

• Options
    As much as FI tries, he is not very sneaky about things. I knew for sure when he bought the ring because he went back home for a weekend and took with him my promise ring that I wore on my left ring finger and another cheapy ring I had so he could "get it sized." I never wanted it sized... it was an $11 ring. But he was trying so hard to be creative about it so I just went along! =)

This was about a month and a half before we were going on a cruise for our 2 year anniversary. I didn't know exactly how he was going to do it, or what day. But I did know he was going to propose on the cruise. Especially when he wouldn't let me anywhere near our in room safe the first few days! lol

The proposal itself (how he did it and when) definitely was a surprise though. It was pretty showy and took a lot of guts. I had anticipated a more low key event. Loved every minute of it though.
    My Bio: Updated 5/18/11

June 2011
    My Morgan!

Photobucket

Miss Dayna

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I had no clue after 2  years.  He didn't propose with a ring so there wasn't that issue.  Our plans had changed for the evening and I had called him to tell him my dd wouldn't be joining us for dinner.  After dinner when he was driving to this section of town where we had our first date I was wondering, "Is this it?"  We walked out to the gazebo in the middle of the town square.  It came so fast because all he said was "Will you marry me?"  Four words don't take all that long. 

We had been there a couple of weeks before, but he dinked around and I was freezing so I asked if we could go.  If he had gotten down to business then, I would have gotten over the cold.
  • Options
    I was in complete denial that a proposal was coming.  I'm one of those weird girls who was scared to death to get engaged.

My family knew about four months before it happened.  We stayed with friends that weekend and the friends knew it was going to happen.  I didn't "get it" until about ten minutes before it happened.
  • Options
    I knew it was coming.  I jokingly have DH a deadline on our 7 year anniversary for our 10 year anniversary.  He tried to propose a few times before our actual 10th anniversary but something always for in the way so he waited.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Had no clue. Seriously, down to the second before the words "Marry Me" came out of his mouth (Even with him on one knee with a ring in his hand), I was firmly convinced the proposal was at least a year away.

We had discussed getting married for a while, and we knew we eventually were going to. We knew that we were most likely paying for 100% of the wedding ourselves, though, and knew there was no way we could afford to get married and get a place together at the same time (We were both living with our parents at the time), so we decided to get a place instead ... and just get engaged and plan a wedding later, when our finances were in better shape.

Leading up to the closing on our condo, we revisited the subject, essentially to "get our stories straight" for the families (We knew if we bought a place everybody was going to demand to know if we were engaged and when we were getting married), and we kind of left it at "Ok, so we'll move in now, get engaged in a year, and then get married the year after that". And I really was not in the slightest bothered by it, so I really didn't think about it much after that.

The day we closed on the condo, he popped the question. He apparently had a ring since the week we started "house hunting", and had planned to propose the week of the closing the entire time ... all of that "we'll get engaged in a year" talk was just him successfully attempting to throw me off the trail.

And I was pretty much the last person to find out. My mother and most of our friends knew for over a month beforehand. My dad and my siblings found out the day before (My dad sucks at keeping secrets, so my mom actually told DH to wait until the last possible minute to ask for his blessing)

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Well I knew it was coming at some point because we had talked a lot about getting engaged and had gone shopping for rings together. He had been having a stressful time at work and planned a long weekend getaway for us in mid October- that's when I started getting suspicious, because I do most of the research for our trips and book the arrangements. Plus I just had a sneaking suspicion it was going to happen that weekend. And I was right! He did it on our last night there, as we drank wine and watched the sun set over the lake and snuggled by the bonfire. The funny thing is that I learned afterwards he asked for my family's blessing back in May, and told our friends during the summer that he was going to propose on that trip. So everyone knew for months and had to keep it a secret! 
  • Options
    I knew it had to be coming at some point.  We had been discussing marriage and decided that next June would be it.  So, he had to propose at some point during the summer or very early fall, right?  FI came to visit me at my summer job, and all of my friends thought he was going to propose sometime then.  There were so many option and opportunities, but no shebang.  I just thought he was probably still saving cash for the ring.  So I get back to Indiana, and school starts, and no ring yet.  It wasn't until I was back for 2 weeks when he finally proposed.  I knew about 5 minutes before it happened because he had attached a card to my dogs collar and the card said that she thought that FI was a "pretty ok guy" and that I should "find him in the woods".  It wasn't a complete surprise, but totally sweet!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Options
    At Thanksgiving the year we got engaged I was playing around with my fiance and said something like "Well you're going to marry me," to which he said that it was still "marinating".  Well I instantly broke into tears and he played off the whole "not sure if we're going to get married" thing. 

About a month before Christmas my fiance said that I was getting "coal" for Christmas.  I figured it out, sort of, a couple of weeks before and he proposed on my birthday, Dec 23.

He said that it was marinating at Thanksgiving but I had no idea that he had already bought and had my e-ring.
  • Options
    Kind of, I guess, in the way that you do when you've been together for 9 1/2 years.  Except that I'd been expecting it to happen for a few years, during which there were ample opportunities, just not the money.  So when he planned a fancy 4-course home cooked dinner for me the night before my birthday (because my birthday was on a Sunday, Saturday was much better) as a present to me, the thought breifly passed through my mind but I discarded it like every other time.  So it was a bit of a surprise! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I really had no clue!  We 've been together almost five years, and we really never talked about marriage.  I knew that he was the one, but I did not want to pressure him and I really wanted him to ask me because he wanted to.  Every time our friends or family would ask us about marriage he would just laugh it off.  This pass summer I finally asked him about it and all he would really say was that he just had a lot going on.
    In the beginning of October FI wanted to take a day trip to the beach so our puppies could play in the sand and water before it got too cold, which I completely believed.  We got up that morning and drove to Freeman Park at Carolina Beach.  I was running around with the pups and he walked up to me and said "I got something for you."  I was shocked!  The only people who knew were my parents, he had talked to them about it 2 months earlier.  He had apparently been ring shopping since January!

TTC since July 2012 BFP#1 10/8/12 ~ EDD 6/16/12 ~ m/c 10/15/12 BFP#2 12/29/12 ~ EDD 9/10/13 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I knew the proposal was coming, my fiance and I have known we were going to be getting married only a couple months into our relationship. He waited until we were together for 13 months and a day to propose to me, October 1st 2008. I knew it was coming, but didn't know the exact time.  It turned out absolutely amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    I kind of did... We had gone on a cruise together to Mexico. When we were in Mexico we ended up in a jewelry store and my FI said "Let's do it, lets get married" I started crying and I was so happy and surprised!  Then we had a bad feeling of paying for a ring in Mexico and so we decided not to do it. I was upset, but I knew he was right. He said we could look at rings when we got back home. The next day we ended up in a jewelry store on the cruise ship and I tried on some rings. He proposed that night at dinner so I was surprised that he didn't wait. I was soooo happy as we had been together for almost 5 years  :)
    Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I had NO clue!  We were going on all expense paid cruise with his boss, his wife,  and co-workers and their girlfriends and wives.  My sister-in-law and I had jokingly talked about what if he proposed on the cruise, but my boyfriend (at the time) and I had never discussed getting married.  He actually picked out my ring all by himself, which surprised me completely.  He ended up proposing on a beach in Cozumel, MX (which he had to re-arrange his plans after I refused to climb to the top of the lighthouse he planned to propose at, lol).  We were with a group from the cruise ship, and he asked another couple to take a picture of me and him.  He had already told them his plan, so they were prepared.  I remember complaining that he wanted to take a picture after we had been snorkeling and wearing helmets cruising around Mexico, to which he replied, "Then, you're really about to hate me!", and proceeded down on one knee.  Talk about blown away!  He had already asked for my mom's blessing in advance, and my mom and his parents and sister had sent cards of Congratulations along with him to give to me once he popped the question. 
  • Options

My reaction to the proposal was all the more hilarious because we had actually set a date several months before. We knew that we wanted to get married, so we picked a catering hall in early October. I told Brian I didn't need a formal proposal, because we already knew we were getting married. My whole family told me their predictions: some thought the proposal would be during our vacation to Puerto Rico, others thought it would be around my birthday. My mom said that Brian was saving up money for a ring and wouldn't be able to propose until the Spring of 2010.

On December 12th, Brian had told me that we were going to a Sushi and Sake tasting with his brother, Tim and Tim's girlfriend, Kristina. He seemed a little anxious, but I figured it was because he wanted to be punctual. Right before we left the apartment, he played Savage Garden's "I Knew I Loved You" (our wedding song) and grabbed me for a slow dance (but of course, I thought nothing of it). We walked along the street, talking about what a perfect afternoon it was and how excited we were to celebrate our 10 month anniversary the following day. As we rounded the corner of Bleecker and 6th, I noticed that the marquee on the IFC Theater had my name on it. I was so confused and started to point it out to Brian; at that moment, I saw the rest of the marquee ... IT WAS MY PROPOSAL!!! I started crying hysterically as Brian got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Then he opened the box to reveal the most stunning ring I've ever seen!

In between sobs, Brian pointed out that Tim and Kristina were across the street, recording and photographing the whole scene as it played out. As they took pictures, I tried calling my mother, my brother (Richie), my grandparents ...but no one was answering. Brian suggested we go get something to eat and ushered me into a restaurant. The place was completely empty, but I didn't even notice because I was still in shock. As we walked up the stairs, I realized that both of our
    families were there and I started crying all over again. In between antipasta, rigatoni ala vodka and chicken marsala, Brian and I watched as our families became acquainted and toasted to not just our future, but the growth of our respective families together. It was without a doubt the best day of my life!

- Finally Mrs. D'Amico
  • Options
    I did and I didn't...I figures it was coming up at some point, because he was beginning to talk about getting officially engaged, and had borrowed one of my rings so he could get the right size. But I didn't realize it would happen so quickly! I love the story - he put the ring between the pages of a book we have of daily Mass readings, and the day he picked was a day when the gospel was the wedding feast at Cana, where Christ performed his first miracle. He was so cute about it...he just told me he thought I would find the day's reading interesting, and when I opened the book, there it was! I remember thinking, why did he pick this way to give me back the ring he borrowed? Then I picked it up and my heart just jumped! I told him he had to ask me officially, and he said: "I want to spend the rest of my life with you." We're both older (I'm 48 and he's 52) and we've both been married before, but THIS wedding is so new and glorious to both of us.

It gives me a happy sigh just remembering it...

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    First off when I first got with him, he told me that he doesn't do surprises.  Well that's all it's been.  Always bring me flowers or something very nice, taking me places, and just wanting to spend time together just by sitting on the couch watching tv. which is great.
    I live 3000miles away from my family they are in Pennsylvania and Im in California, so of course I've been home sick. Been here in CA for 5 year's.  But I would call my mom and she could tell I wanted to see them.  Not knowing this but for a few months I've been telling her she needs to come out and in September they came out to surprise me.  Had this planned for months and not one word to me.  Showed up at my job to see me, *and it's very hard for my family to keep things from everyone, since EVERYONE has a big mouth*. but it was great I cried, my mom cried. oh by the way it was, my mom Wendy, my dad Rick, my grandmother Meme, my sister Desiree and her husband Rich.  They planned this since May. and I even asked are they sure there is no more surprises this week?. and he tells me no.. what more could you ask for? Well they had it all planned to have the full week of things to do, Las Vegas, Disney Land, La County Fair, The Aquarium.  It was great.
     We all went to Disney Land on Thursday, had plans to go to Club 33.  Very grand club.. Brian and I have been there before and was saying how great it would be to go out on the balcony to over look Disney Land.  Well while eating he asked me to go with him, and he takes me out on the balcony.. they let us go out and he's talking to me, asking me how nice this was and how if I liked it. and of course said no I don't like it.. I LOVE IT!! and well he still goes on about how he loves me and wants our love to last forever..and spend the rest of his life with me.  that he can't do anything without me *that's b/c I do everything for him* he takes care of me and I take care of him. I turned to him and looked and I started to cry right off the bat and he pulls the box out of his pocket.  and of course asked if I would marry him? and YES!!! surprise surprise.. We walk back in and everyone has their camera's out and crying.. I'm so glad my family and his mom and dad were there to celebrate this with us.  It was THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE. I couldn't of asked for a better partner.  I love you Brian. ! Can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you.

They gave us pin's that said Just Engaged, and 2 little cakes with Mickey faces

• Options
    I had my hair cut super short (for me) the next weekday after the wedding... let me see if I can get my computer to cooperate so I can post something here...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 65 asked to watch us make it happen
    image 51 helping us party
  • Options
    Haha, definitely knew it was coming. We went to get the ring together, snce I'm really not ino jewelry and he had no clue what to get (sometims I'm glitzy, sometimes not). About a week or so before we got the ring, he told me about this craft show at this nature center we both love, and he was making a big deal about "taking the long trail and ending up by the lake". So when we went to get the ring from the jewlers, I to him I knew when he was going to propose. He didn't believe me and asked when I thought, and said he wouldn't change it if I 'guessed' right. Liar. I told him he was going to propose November 6th after 4pm (the craft show was from 12-4) near the lake at this nature center. He gave me this look, and freaked out in a cute way about e knowing, then decided to change the date. He was planning on proposing that day at sunset atop this observatin tower overlooking said lake. But he instead proposed a week sooner by carving "Will You Marry Me?" into a pumpkin at my parent's house. I liked that better, it was much more 'us'. :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a slight hunch. I just wasn't quite sure when or how.

It was Halloween the day it happened. And we were getting ready to leave to go to Pittsburgh to go out for the night. Mom went away from the room to get more pins to adjust my hair and he proceeds to tell me about how he and his mom went to a local jeweler's that morning.

That night, we concluded our trip by going to an amusement park for their "fright nights" event. Coming down the final dip on my favorite coaster was when he popped the question. It was the BIGGEST mix of adrenaline I've ever experienced and I could not have asked for a better proposal. :)

(To answer since some people have usually asked about it after: About two months later, I did get the ring close to Christmas. I think my clumsy self would've lost it had it been physically there for the proposal)

• Options
    I have been picking out engagement rings from several places the past year and although I never felt the feeling it was THE engagement ring for me. When I visited Craig and his family in New York in May, his paternal grandmother Grandma Ruth has just passed down a diamond ring to Craig that has been passed down grandmother to grandchild in their family since the Civil War era. Craig told me that one day after we were married that he wanted me to have the ring if I wanted it. When I saw it I was taken aback by its history and beauty. I asked him if I could try it on and it FIT MY HAND PERFECTLY! I immediately knew that I had found THE ring.
    Craig and I arrived to his family’s beach house at Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, New Jersey and he told me how special Beach Haven and their family’s house there was to him because he had so many wonderful memories there since he was a young boy. He told me how happy he was to bring me there and show me the place that was so special to him.

On the 4th of July at 8:00 p.m. that evening, Craig asked me to take a walk with him and we began walking toward the bay overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We stopped at an overlook deck and almost immediately a family came to the deck area. Craig seemed almost upset and he asked told me he wanted to keep walking to another area. He took me to the next deck overlook and asked me what I thought about it. I said it was nice and I would be right back because I was going to run back to the house and get my sunglasses and a hair tie. He laughed, took me by the hand and said “You don’t need any of that right now. Come on!” and began slowly pulling me to the overlook deck. He said, “There’s something I want you to have. I have a question I want to ask you.” Then he reached in his pocket and pulled out a ring box. He got down on one knee and asked me,”Will you marry me?” I exclaimed, “YES I WILL!” and I jumped into this arms and he lifted me off the ground in an embrace. So on the 4th of July 2010 at 8:00 p.m. on a deck overlooking the Atlantic Ocean at Beach Haven, Craig asked me to be his wife and I said yes. As we embraced, I looked up to the beautiful summer sky full of the fluffy white clouds my late, great mother Jan loved and a pretty blue sky my late, beloved Grandma Cleva always loved and in that instant, I felt them watching me and Craig from above in our moment of bliss. I looked up toward Heaven and smiled the smile my Mom always said would light up the room in the dark.

We walked back to the house and his parents embraced me first, then their son and we all cried happy tears. His parents had a seafood feast dinner for us to celebrate our engagement. We walked as a family down to watch the fireworks by the sea at the yacht club. Craig and I certainly did “ring” in the 4th this year! Looking back, the day before, his dad told me, “We are going to have a great 4th. We’re going to have lots of sparklers.” I get the true meaning of his statement now, LOL! 

We are having a June 4, 2011 wedding in Oklahoma and a reception for family and friends in New York.
    "The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue." -Barbara De Angelis
  • Options
    I have been asking and waitig for a ring for 4 years. I told Jeff that all I wanted for my birthday this year was a ring. I didn't think he would get one because he never has before. I thought I was getting a coat or a new pair of warm PJ's. He handed me a huge heavy box, so I just assumed that I wasn't getting a ring after all. I started unwrapping it-only to discover that there was another smaller wrapped box inside of it. I continued to unwrap and found another wrapped box inside of the previous one. After that yet another one-this time it was ring sized. But when I finally got it opened, there was no ring in it, but a note instead. It instructed me to go to the entertainment center to find my present. There I found a ring shining in a small grey box. I couldn't believe it! There it was at last! He placed it on my finger and I felt overwhelmed-I was sure that he was never going to want to marry me! That happened three days ago and I am excited to start planning our wedding-sometime next summer-probably in June in Kauai by a waterfall. I am sooooo thrilled and in love with my guy!
  • Options
    You could have knocked me over with a feather when my fiance got down on one knee! We had joked about getting married over the last year, but I didn't think he would propose when and HOW he did.

Will was working at a Boy Scout camp, like he had every summer for the last 7 years which meant 10 weeks spent apart and me driving to camp every Sunday to volunteer. At the end of the summer there is a good bye banquet for the full time staff and volunteers before they all head off back to school or the real world. As a regular volunteer, I had been invited to the banquet. The day before the banquet, my car threw what could have been a major wrench in the plan when the battery went dead. Not knowing Will was going to propose the next day, I wasn't all that worried about it but he kept texting and calling me to make sure I had taken care of my car. To be honest I was a little irritated with him by the time I got to camp the next day!

As we were setting up for the big staff/volunteer picture Will was busy being in charge, doing what he normally does so I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying. Something about thanking the volunteers, blah, blah, blah. The next thing I know he's asking me to come stand out in front of everyone and I was like "No, we need to get the picture taken, can't it wait?" He insisted on me coming out in front of everyone and I knew he wouldn't stop until I did so I walked over and as I did he got down on one knee.

My exact words were "What are you doing? What are you doing?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

After I managed to regain my words and say yes, he told me he had been planning the proposal since May (it was August when he did the deed). The shocking part was that everyone at camp knew what was going on, right down to the photographer who luckily took a great series of pictures during the proposal. Also two of my very best friends had been emailing back and forth with him about what ring I might like! The lengths my fiance went to in order to keep our impending engagement from me still boggle my mind three months later.
    "In these dreams I've loved you so, that by now I think I know what it's like to be loved by you. I will love being loved by you." -- The King and I
  • Options
    Well we shopped for the rings together, but I wasn't sure when he was going to propose. It was supposed to be a surprise. He planned a nice morning for us by the pier and I was sure he was going to propose the... but he didn't (and you can only imagine how disappointed I was). He ended up doing it later that day out of the blue!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes. I picked out the ring. The setting was bought in June and the diamond in the September.

I just didn't know where it would be. Turned out rather well. I got the perfect ring and he picked the perfect spot!
  • Options
    garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I will never admit to this IRL, but yes, I knew it was going to happen on our vacation.  I just didn't know the day.  We ran into some problems right before vacation as our dog sitter couldn't watch the dog for us anymore.  I kept saying "maybe we shouldn't go on vacation at all and just relax for 2 weeks at home."  He kept saying, no we have to go.  He ended up convincing his parents to let us bring the dog to their cabin (which had been pet free since it was built 4 years ago).  He said to me "you'll understand when we get up there why my parents let us bring the dog." 

Before then, I knew it was coming because I figured out that he bought a ring.  He mysteriously dressed up one day and went to go meet his brothers to "buy a gift for his parents' 39th anniversary."  I knew he had never bought them an anniversary gift before.  Putting all of those things together, I figured it out.  But he did manage to surprise me on the day that he did it since I was expecting that it was going to happen at the end of the week, not at the beginning.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Options
    I was waiting for it and we had been talking about it for years(been together 7 years) but the moment he asked was a total surprise.  We were laying in bed like any other night and he said "will you marry me", he said it so casually and randomly that I thought he was kidding but that was always how I wanted it.  I knew that if he took me to a romantic spot then I would expect and not be surprised. : )  No one else knew at all, some people even asked if I was pregnant lol but our family was so excited.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I knew it was coming.  FI is a terrible liar, so when he suddenly had to go help his best friend change a flat tire during a rainstorm, I knew something was up.  We'd already decided to get married.  We've reserved the church, reception venue, caterer, etc, but it was just a matter of him actually asking.

He called me and said he was done changing the tire.  We were planning on meeting his friend and his wife for dinner, so FI asked me to get him a change of clothes because he was soaked.

Apparently, he realized after he asked me to get his clothes that he was not actually wet.  He parked his truck around the corner, got out and stood in the rain for ten minutes.  He threw his sweatshirt in a mud puddle and then knelt down in the same puddle.  He wiped his shirt along the side of his wet truck.  When he came home, he certainly looked like he'd been changing a tire on the side of a highway.

While he was changing, I went to the coat closet to find a hat.  I looked up, and he was standing there, looking terrified.  He pulled out the box and just kind of held it there.  I told him he had to ask, so he kind of mumbled it.  After I said yes and jumped up and down, he finally looked relieved.  

Overall, it was really sweet.  I knew when he was going to propose, but not how.  
  • Options
    I had no idea it was happening this past April. My Fiance and I have been a couple for about 5 years but I was also perfectly happy just being together with or without all the hoopla of a ring/engagement/wedding.

There is a youtube video of the proposal since FI had set it up for the whole thing to be videotaped!

We are officially into our 6 months countdown til tying the knot~
  • Options
    I did know it was coming, because we decided together that this is something we were ready for. I even paid to upgrade my ring. I just didn't know exactly when or how he was going to do it.

We are long distance so it turns out he proposed via youtube! 

• Options
    I knew it was coming sometime that this year, but I thought he'd wait until Christmas. But he completely caught me off-guard - he flew down to Florida while I was on vacation in August with my mom and sister and proposed at Disney World!! I am marrying the greatest guy ever :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards