Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Just Engaged but a Bit Overwhelmed: Venue Ideas???

We just got engaged Friday night.  Now I'm trying to figure out all the details to do this wedding as soon as we can :)  We've been dating nearly 5 years now, so we are both perfectly fine with getting married this year.

But I need help picking the When and Where.
My lease ends at the end of September, so I'd like to get married before then.  But June is practically the official wedding month, and July and August are so hot for outdoor weddings.

I've always dreamed of having a wedding on the beach.  I went to my fiance's sister's wedding at an All-Inclusive in Cancun, and it was just perfect.  So I can't help but think of hers when trying to plan mine.  (Not like a competition or a "keeping up with the Jones's" because there's no way we could keep up with her.  But just that it's on my mind.)

Unfortunately (though it totally makes sense) my sister and her husband can't afford to do something like that.  I know my FI and I both want our families there.  So I need to find something more reasonable and close-by.

Here's the TL;DR:
Does anyone have suggestions on interesting venues I could have a wedding and reception at?  I'm not necessarily wanting it to be local, and I'm basically open to any ideas, as long as they are affordable for all parties involved.

I'm in KY, so we definitely need to be in this area of the US - I've already searched all over google and trip advisor for places along the coast in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida.  I've just got too many ideas, and can't settle on one of them! :)  And if people know of any nice areas in or around KY, that would be helpful too - I'm just overwhelmed with options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just Engaged but a Bit Overwhelmed: Venue Ideas???

• Options
    Congrats!

I just got engaged Christmas Eve, and I'm in the same boat as you! I'm a stressful nervous wreck! My man is cool as a cucumer, and I'm already going to look at venues this weekend. He's so calm and is more or less approaching things like, "tell me when and where, and I'll be there in a clean shirt" Thanks honey.

Take a deep breath :)
  • Options
    MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-a-bit-overwhelmed-venue-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:97adce19-3bd7-4192-9b0e-938fe72de520Post:7f2a6307-56c7-4412-a7c5-e4542f956b82">Re: Just Engaged but a Bit Overwhelmed: Venue Ideas???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats! I just got engaged Christmas Eve, and I'm in the same boat as you! I'm a stressful nervous wreck! My man is cool as a cucumer, and I'm already going to look at venues this weekend. He's so calm and is more or less approaching things like, "tell me when and where, and I'll be there in a clean shirt" Thanks honey. Take a deep breath :)
    Posted by CaseyLynn91308[/QUOTE]

Haha!  Yeah, I keep running to him and telling him about ideas I've come up with, and he's so relaxed like "Whatever works best for everyone."  I just want to shake him! 

I definitely need this excitement to calm down though. :)  He just bought a house last year, furnished it, and then bought the engagement ring.  So I think the other part of why he doesn't have much to respond with is that he already spent so much last year.  I don't think he's really ready to hear about another big expense, too...

Oh!  Congrats and good luck to you as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OMG!!  I am so glad I found this.  I have been engaged for a month and there have been times in this month I was not sure that he was going to live to see a wedding date!!  To the lady in KY, you might also try Virginia Beach.  I am not sure how far that is from you but it is a pretty place.  I am in WV attempting to plan a Tennessee wedding :O  STRESSED!!  LIke you guys, my guy is like, just tell me what to where and when to show up, and the very next time I bring up something about the wedding and he starts talking about sports stats, I may snap, no matter how much I love UK basketball!
  • Options
    THANK YOU! I got engaged on Christmas Eve and my FI just wants me to be happy so he has NO input on location and we are looking at Florida, Atlanta or Houston! Whenever I have an idea he says- sounds good!

We are paying for the wedding ourselves so I am super stressed about finding a venue...
  • Options
    We were married on a lake in Dallas. Would you consider getting married at a body of water that isn't the ocean?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-a-bit-overwhelmed-venue-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:97adce19-3bd7-4192-9b0e-938fe72de520Post:da23eb89-0091-4937-8490-20ee69456d4a">Re:Just Engaged but a Bit Overwhelmed: Venue Ideas???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations and welcome! To find a good wedding venue in your area, you might try the Local Boards section, to the left. A post on the KY board asking for venue location advice will likely do you a lot more good than posting it here. Good luck to you!
    Posted by coopergirl15[/QUOTE]

Oh I know, but that's the thing - I'm not really looking for anything specifically in KY.  Just in this general area of the U.S.  Though my mom and future sister-in-law are excited about the idea of a cruise or all-inclusive location.

Virginia Beach sounds like a good idea, and I've never been!  I'm all up for doing somethig new :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engaged-but-a-bit-overwhelmed-venue-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:97adce19-3bd7-4192-9b0e-938fe72de520Post:8d416767-2a2e-4e54-a29b-11e490d4950e">Re: Just Engaged but a Bit Overwhelmed: Venue Ideas???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were married on a lake in Dallas. Would you consider getting married at a body of water that isn't the ocean?
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Yeah!  I'd be fine with that!  I am just having a hard time picking locations.

Mostly, I think I want a venue that will also take care of some of the basics - the officiant, flowers, some decorations, etc.  So that mixed with bad reviews I've been reading, I'm having a hard time picking places.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Congrats on your engagement. I believe that feeling is pefectly normal.
    I was engaged  to my boyfriend (now Fiance)of 6 years new Years Eve night Right when the clock stricked 12pm. It felt not even a minute later did the nerves hit. So since then I have decided to have my wedding march 2015...I even found the prfect all inclusive venue. I have enough time to plan and really save for the perfect day have you considered that?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards