Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

A "real" diamond dilemma

I just got engaged Monday!  Yay!  It's a beautiful oval sapphire ring, and it's huge.  And there's two triangle stones on the side.  It's beautiful and I love it.

My fiancee spent a lot of money on the center stone and got a stone that is over 2 carats, which it didn't need to be huge, I didn't ask for HUGE.  But it is beautiful.

My question is about the side stones.  The side stones look almost to be one carat all on their own, and they are CZ.  He explained he wanted to get a nice quality center stone and he would someday replace the side stones with real diamonds for our first anniversary after we are married.

I do not mind this at all, I didn't really need a big ring, I could care less that they are fakes.  My question is about how to talk to people about it. I don't care that they are not real diamonds, but I don't think it's anyone else's business either.  I don't know that I want to explain, "They are not real now, but they will be someday."  I don't know if that sounds tacky and cheap?  And then if I open that door, I don't want people thinking, "wow-he should not have bought that big of a ring if he could not afford the real thing . . ."  I don't want to open our finances to scrutiny, etc.

Mostly so far people have only asked what the center stone is, "Oh, is that a sapphire?  It's so big."  When I have been decribing the stones to my family over the phone, I've been saying, "It's a large sapphire in the middle, and the two stones on the side are trillian (sp?) cut.  And while I don't feel it's their business, I also don't want to be dishonest

What is the best way to handle this dilemma?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards