Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Mom will think it's too soon...

I am soon to be engaged, and my boyfriend intends to speak with both of my parents about it before he proposes.  My dad will be fine, thrilled for us, as long as I am happy.  My mom, on the other hand, ever the cautious and careful one, who dated my stepdad for 7 or 8 years before getting engaged, will think it is too soon.  A little background: my twin brother and I are 23, and we are her only children, so she's still getting used to us being grown.  My boyfriend and I will have been together for a bit less than a year when we get engaged.  We found each other on eHarmony (which I would highly recommend to anybody), and we began dating with the express intention of finding a spouse.  This practice aligns with our faith and religious beliefs and values, which my mother does not share.  He is 26, I am 23, we both have good jobs and have already discussed almost everything from finances to children to chores, and we know that this is right. 

I am very close with my mom, and I am really worried about how she will react when the time comes.  I know he is going to talk with her first, and while I know she will not do anything to try and deter us from getting married, she may not react favorably at least at first.  She, by the way, had already been married to my dad for 2 years when she was my age.

Any suggestions for how to cope?

Re: Mom will think it's too soon...

• Options
    I wouldn't necessarily assume she'll be upset. Getting engaged is a happy time and from the sounds of it she doesn't object to your boyfriend/relationship.

If she does react negatively I would sit down with her one-on-one and calmly explain what you wrote about your faith and preparation as a couple.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My mom is like that too, but I was pleasantly suprised by her reaction. As PP said, you never know how someone will react, so hopefully your mom will understand what an exciting time this is for you.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Fi and I were only together for 7 1/2 months when we got engaged and I just knew my mom would be the same way (despite being 26 and 27 with stable jobs, incomes, college degrees, etc).  I was definitely pleasantly surprised with her reaction. She was very happy for us.  She has told me a couple of times to be sure that I am sure of my decisions and that even the day of I can back out if I am not 100% sure but I honestly think she is just looking out for me in her own little way since she has been married 3x.  Engagements are happy times so hopefully she will surprise you with her reaction as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards