Just Engaged and Proposals

18 and engaged :)

Hi everyone! I am sure you have all seen my posts on here at one point or another. T and I got engaged June 3rd, 2011. I was 17 and I turned 18, nine days later! I am 18 currently and we have been engaged for 8 months now and everything is going perfectly! I noticed some people have made remarks about being 18 and engaged and how we aren't mature. I was just trying to make a point when I say this but isn't this website for Brides to support other Brides? Not to make comments and rude remarks? I may be 18 years old, T is 20, we are both in college and we have decided to wait to get married until we have bachelor's degrees and a stable career. We have been together for 3 years, and we have known each other for 15 years. He is my bestfriend and I love him very much. It is funny how things work out. But before you make statements about being so young, please remember it is how you handle your engagement, wedding and future. We decided not to rush into things because we have other goals. Maybe there are other 18 year olds that see it like that too.

He stole my heart, so I'm stealing his last name.

Re: 18 and engaged :)

• I forgot to mention, it doesn't matter if you are 40 and engaged or 18, the important thing is, you found love, you found the one person that you want to spend your life with. It shouldn't matter your age.
  • Congratulations on your engagement. I think it's a good idea for you to wait until after you graduate college and find stable jobs.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Congrats! I know how you feel. I'm 20 and my mom barely lets me say the word "wedding." It's definitely a good thing that you are waiting until you graduate. A lot changes in college and it's hard maintaining a high school relationship. But if you are committed, you can do it.

Best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt,

I can totally understand I am 20, and my boyfriend of 5 years proposed to me on Feb 11, 2012. My family is freaking out a little but my boyfriend is 23 and is done with his bachelors this year. I want to go to law school and my family is afraid I won't finish law school if I get married. I still have 5 years left to finish school completely and don't feel I need to wait that long to get married. I want to move forward with my relationship and start our lives together. As long as you are with someone who finds school as equally important and you both push each other to finish that is all that matters.

Wish you the best of luck!
  • Congratulations, although if you have an issue with people judging your age... Why mention it in the first place? My first train of thought when welcoming someone on TK isn't "I wonder how old they are?" 
    People are going to think what they want to think... I rarely bring up my age on here because I feel it's irrelevant, but I am also not ashamed of it.. and People that judge me for my age are interweb strangers that don't know me.. It is what it is :P 
    Don't let people bring you down for your age.. here or in life in general. If you go around with that defense up, you're going to have some issues. 

Also, Lucy is always right. 
    That is all. 

:P 
  • Thank you ladies! Well its funny to see people make all kind of remarks about how being 18 makes you immature and you automatically don't know what love is or how to love or even unable to get engaged. People are rude I guess.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_18-and-engaged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c6816b59-8daf-432e-bff9-3fa1a986e165Post:9e9b1105-8c90-4481-9228-c533bd436aa0">Re: 18 and engaged :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you ladies! Well its funny to see people make all kind of remarks about how being 18 makes you immature and you automatically don't know what love is or how to love or even unable to get engaged. People are rude I guess.
    Posted by Britt1893[/QUOTE]

<div>More power to ya.</div><div>
    </div><div>When I was 18, I was soo in love with my bf, I wanted to get engaged soo bad, I just KNEW in my heart of hearts that he was "the one."  Fast forward 5 years, and I dumped that piece of shiit for smacking me around and absolutely, positively NOT being "the one."</div><div>
    </div><div>Truly, I do wish you the best and I hope you two are married for 80 years, but the fact of the matter is that you're barely a legal adult.  Most 18 year olds I know are kids.  Teenagers.  So if you get a little side-eye on here, it's nothing personal, just a bunch of older women who were 1000% certain about their 18 year old boyfriends at the time, only to grow, change, and see those relationships run their course.</div>
  • I can understand that, especially when you put it like that. I moved out the day I turned 18, I didn't rely on my parents and I still don't. The same goes for my fiance'. He moved out the day he turned 18 as well. I became a manager at my old job the day I turned 18, I worked 40 hours every week, and even at my new job, I still do. We are buying a house together and there is a mortgage payment. What I am trying to say is that not every 18 year old is a child. I haven't relied on my parents from the time I was 16. My fiance' is the same. I guess the point I am trying to get across on here is that when I turned 18, I was already handling the world. I work a full time job. I go to school full time, He is the same way, we have bills to pay, we aren't children and I believe a huge part of being engaged at 18 is all how about you handle the situation. I am 100% positive that we aren't getting married until we both graduate college with bachelor's degrees, and have stable jobs in our careers. I don't see why we (young people) getting a little side-eye on here. I'm not angry by any means, so please don't take it the wrong way, but I noticed on an older post that a woman who was 43 was getting married and when the younger generation gave her the side-eye, all kinds of crazy broke loose! Its a double standard. Again, not saying 40 and older is too old to get married because you can find true love at any age. I believe an engagement can work, just like any relationship could.

Also, I thought I would throw this out there, before I was with my fiance', I was with a guy for about 2 years I think...anyways, I was 13 when he asked me to marry him, (INSANE RIGHT?) I told him I wouldn't because I was so young and I wanted to be sure he was the one, I guess that was the big mistake that made me realize that all of the poo he put me through, made me realize how happy and how..complete..if you will, that Travis makes me. I believe that when you know, you know. You are right though DiLynn, "only to grow, change, and see those relationships run their course."
  • definetly not! He knew that, I knew that.
  • Honestly... that's great and all.. but you sound like you're still defending your honor.. and you don't need to. It's the internet. People have their opinions about age, race, gender, sexual orientation, pandas, etc. You will ALWAYS run into people. 
    People judge me for being 22, for being a military spouse, for being a math major, for being a video gamer, for being a ............. The list goes on. 
    You have nothing to prove to be respected or accepted, but I feel like you FEEL like you do by writing out your resume up there ^ . I'm glad you're confident in yourself and your relationship, and feel prepared for life's adventures. Breathe. 
    Part of being "mature" is recognizing that there are opinionated people out there and dealing with that ambiguity.  You can't change their opinions by telling them how successful you have been thus far. 

• There are a ton of young brides-to-be on the student board and they're very nice (this is not to kick you out of this board, obviously, just to give you another option if you hadn't been there before).
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I'm 18 and engaged too.  But we're both in the military...It is hard because everyone is rooting for your relationship to fail.  Especially the 70 guys that surround him every day.  You just gotta keep the faith and keep in mind that you've still got growing up to do...things can change, but remember the vows you're going to make "for better or for worse..."
  • Nay93, thank you. Just so you know, I am rooting for your relationship to succeed and you'll walk down that aisle and marry that man of yours. Congrats!!
  • I so understand what you mean!! My fiance and I are both turning 20 in a few weeks and people think that we are so stupid for being engaged so young. But we have been together for over two years and we have planned everything. We even have tracked what our financial states would be, how many kids we want and how we will raise them, and we share so many dreams together. Congrats on your engagement! :)
    "It's not going to be easy. It's going to be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, everyday."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards