Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Newly Engaged for a Week

Hi All!! My boyfriend (now fiance :-) proposed last Saturday while we were on vacation in the Caribbean. I was completely shocked & surprised. We've been together for about 2.5 years...The ring isn't what I would've picked for myself, but I love it because its what he picked out for me.

One question I have, though, is -- how long before you all set a date? He suggested late next year, so I'm thinking somewhere around early November (to avoid being too close to the holidays)...How long before I should lock that timing down?

Thanks ~~

Kay

Re: Newly Engaged for a Week

• Options
    Congrats! Enjoy your engagement.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your engagement! My FI and I agreed on a two year engagement. We chose the date we did after coming up with a budget. I also wanted to be finished with grad school by the time we got married- everyone's situation is different though.

You already know the general month/ season you want to get married. I don't know how things are in DC, but in NY some reception venues and vendors can get booked over a year in advance. My advice would be to sit down with your Fiance in the very near future, decide on a budget and guest list and make sure that by November of next year, you will have the funds for the wedding. I would then look at the dates in November, taking into account any holidays, family events, etc, in order to set a wedding date. Good luck with everything and don't forget to enjoy the engagement!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Congratulations!  :) 

I would say if you're thinking about a year for now or a little over, you should definitely lock it down and start looking.  A year is a good timeframe to actually start the planning process.  GL!
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would set a budget and guest list first. Then you can determine when you can afford to get married. Dont rush it. Enjoy your engagement. Some people think that they have to be married a year after their engagement. I will be engaged 2 years and 4 months by the tiime I get married.. I want the wedding I want and didnt want to settle. Good Luck and Congrats on your engagement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats! There really isn't a proper timeline for setting a date, it differs from couple to couple. I've seen couples pick a date the day after getting engaged and I've seen couples who were engaged for yeeears before setting a date. My FI & I chose a date pretty fast, just so we can start saving, and when it's all said and done, our engagement will be a year and 4 months. :)
    Running buddies are forevah.

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Completed 2012 Races: Cupid's Chase 5k Feb. 11th: 26:20, Donovan's Run 5k March 10th: 25:00, Statesman Cap 10k March 25th: 57:19

Upcoming: Komen Race for the Cure 10k May 12th (SA)

• Options
    Congrats and I would stay that you should reserve your venue about a year in advance or even a little earlier if it is a popular venue or date.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Your answers have been really helpful. I think we're going to settle on a final date within the next couple of weeks, which will still give us at least a year to plan.

And I really appreciate the advice to enjoy my new engagement...It really is a lot of fun :-)

Kay
  • Options
    I don't really have anything to add about setting the date because I think everyone else covered it, but I just wanted to say that my FI proposed to me when we were on a cruise in the Caribbean and it was wonderful!

Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards