Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Opinion on Engagment Party.... Please help

2»

Re: Opinion on Engagment Party.... Please help

• Options
    Riiiiiight.  
    Well then I guess I'm just going to be a rude and offensive bride.   But throwing your own engagement party to announce your engagement is not rude.  Only a snob would think that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_opinion-engagment-party-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:ce951b6f-aafd-4901-8c15-63b20f882f3bPost:a6873d04-ed4c-474b-b9c7-1b3ed3da5c91">Re: Opinion on Engagment Party.... Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Riiiiiight.   Well then I guess I'm just going to be a rude and offensive bride.   But throwing your own engagement party to announce your engagement is not rude.  Only a snob would think that. 
    Posted by rcanales[/QUOTE]

Why is it that only a snob would think that?

I think only a snob would think she's too good to follow proper etiquette or social rules in general.
  • Options
    I am astounded by some of the reactions here!!!!

The main purpose behind the tradition of engagement parties is to have the two families meet and get to know one another prior to the wedding.

Protocol and etiquette are based on traditions of long ago, many of which are no longer valid today but made sense at the time.

Anyone, including the bride and groom can throw an engagement party today and gifts have NEVER been part of the protocol or proper etiquette of engagement parties.  It is neither rude or selfish to have your families and friends join together in celebration regardless of who hosts.

For all those subscribing to archaic and edwardian protocol and telling her that she is rude and selfish, you better look at how your engagements measure against proper etiquette and behavior prior to the proposal onward--no doubt you will come up very short.

• Options
    nessalen3nessalen3 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_opinion-engagment-party-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:ce951b6f-aafd-4901-8c15-63b20f882f3bPost:608318ee-6d4e-4ba6-8e13-ac4cfb137a0f">Re: Opinion on Engagment Party.... Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion on Engagment Party.... Please help : Speak for yourself.  DH and I made sure that we followed proper etiquette from start to finish in how we planned our wedding and in how we live our married life. Etiquette isnt' archaic.  The rules have existed for years for a reason.  Entitlement is a new trend though and unfortunately people think that means that etiquette is now outdated. Throwing a party is a great idea.  Throwing a party in honor of yourself ever is not.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Honestly, that makes me sad that you care SO MUCH about following proper etiquette. You follow proper etiquette on how you live your married life?? I feel like I'm reading a book set in the 1700's.

Yes, you're right- etiquette isn't archaic, some people still follow etiquette. I follow etiquette too, sometimes. However, they are not RULES. If you mean entitlement as in feeling like they the right to have an engagement party just like everyone else, then yes, I agree. If you mean entitlement as in selfish, just for wanting to celebrate their engagement with family and friends, then you are so ignorant.

"Throwing a party in honor of yourself ever is not." Oh really? I thought that's what weddings are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards