Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Does it -really- matter which hand you wear it on?

I got engaged this weekend! :D And I love the ring, it's modest yet wonderfully amazing. ♥ Only thing is, it's one size too big... for my left hand. My right ring finger it fits perfectly but isn't that the "wedding rings only" hand? O_o

He's offered to get me a different, fancier one, even has one family ring I could have but... that moment was in this ring and I can't part with it or have it paired with some other sparkly sassifrass. />_ /> We would get it resized or fitted or whatever but it's a simpler band.

Does it really matter? Because I love my ring but I don't want to lose it by wearing it on the size too small hand. :(

... I think I'm over thinking it.

Re: Does it -really- matter which hand you wear it on?

• Options
    You wear both your engagement ring and your wedding ring on your left hand.

If your ring is too big for your left hand, get it re-sized.  Jewelers can re-size almost anything.  They're smart like that.
  • Options
    Congrats!

No, your left hand forefinger is your ring finger. However, in some cultures, it is the right hand.

I'm a bit confused... Did he give you a wedding band or an e-ring? If it is a wedding band, then no, you shouldn't wear it until you are actually married. If it is an e-ring, why don't you get it sized so it fits your left hand? You could always go with a plain band if you don't want anything to fancy paired with the e-ring.
  • Options
    Really? I thought they went on the left hand when you're just engaged and put on the right when you get married? I actually don't know where I'm thinking that from, though...

Couldn't people, theoretically, ask me if I'm engaged or not? My corner of the world pretty much knows already and I didn't get to actually tell anyone..

He said something about it the ring I have not being able to get resized because of it being a plain-er, jewel free band.

Thanks for the quicker answers though. :) We'll look into that.
  • Options
    I don't know what kind of metal your ring is made of but usually it is easier to size a plain band than one with jewels on it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_really-matter-hand-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:d3c0ec77-2294-4d7a-ba66-38fa36817903Post:35aaa37b-7be3-4edc-8e33-36f4a6d527d5">Re: Does it -really- matter which hand you wear it on?</a>:
    [QUOTE] He said something about it the ring I have not being able to get resized because of it being a plain-er, jewel free band. 
    Posted by jblevins11[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't understand, why would it be more difficult to be resized if it doesn't have any jewels? That doesn't make any sense, jewels and patterns make it more difficult to resize.</div>
  • Options
    If you can not get it resized consider a ring guard or snuggie.  They're pretty cheap (a few bucks maybe?).  I couln't get my e ring resized because it's engraved so I got a guard.  Fits perfectly now.  And yes you must wear your ring on your left hand.  It wouldn't be an engagement ring if it were on your right.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you lived in Brazil you could wear it on your right hand until you get married then switch it to your left! But then you'd also have to buy him his ring to wear on his right until then too.... Go Brazil! =)
    My Bio: Updated 5/18/11

June 2011
    My Morgan!

Photobucket

Miss Dayna

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    The place he purchased the ring may resize it for free. Most rings can be resized. But in the very rare occasion that it can't then the jeweler can put dots of metal in the bottom of the ring so it fits better (sizing balls). Or you can get guards or other things that attach to the ring to make it fit.

And yes, in America women wear the engagement ring & wedding ring on the left ring finger.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    You can go get the ring sized to fit.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    While I wonder why your ring can't be sized (since most easily can be, except eternity bands and rings with extensive engraving), if it indeed can't be sized, you should wear it on any finger or any hand that you want to!

An engagement ring is simply that.  While most wear it on the left, wearing it on the right doesn't negate it's meaning.  Traditions aren't rules. I wear my ring on my right hand for a very specific reason, and trust me....I don't have 2 heads. Nor am I any less engaged. 

Wear it, love it, be proud, and look forward to marrying your love!
  • Options
    I'm a left hand looker
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_really-matter-hand-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:d3c0ec77-2294-4d7a-ba66-38fa36817903Post:236b75e5-87ad-47ea-8380-07e20b68622c">Re: Does it -really- matter which hand you wear it on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a left hand looker
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]
    So are most guys that might be enticed by the absence of a wedding/e-ring on the left hand and try to hit on you. 
    Its just easier to get it resized.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    you can re-size it, anyway you love this ring. I prefer left hand, as the right hand is used more, I do not want to add any weight for it :P
  • Options
    You can not be real.
    I'm sorry but how could you not know any of this? Pretty sure almost all rings can be resized.
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand this. I had to get my ring sized down, and they ended up not being able to take any of the metal out because of all the micropave diamonds on the band.  They told me that with a plain or "simple" band, they can just take a bit of the metal out, but with mine they had to put a little bead of metal on the inside of the ring.  I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get it resized.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Unless it is made out of a metal that is darn near indestructible, dripping in gems ALL OVER or so intricately engraved it isn't funny then it can be resized. Is your FI just embarrassed that he got the wrong size and that is why he told you incorrectly that it couldn't be fixed? Or is the jeweler just that bad? If the jeweler is just that bad then RUN and find one who knows what is what. 
    Good luck and enjoy your E-ring on whichever hand you wear it!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    In my culture, wearing the e-ring on the left hand before the wedding is considered taboo. The guys at my local Starbucks know that big rock on that girl's right hand is most definitely a e-ring. Your ring doesn't define your engagement (as so many on these message boards keep pointing out to other posters). Where it on the finger that it fits on if, indeed, it cannot be resized (or don't wear it, doesn't matter). Otherwise, you can wait until your wedding and slip your wedding ring on in front of your e-ring so it doesn't slide off your finger. Congrats on the engagement. :)
  • Options
    it depends on the culture for which hand the engagement ring is worn on (and in some cases the wedding ring) but the traditional american way is the ring finger on the left hand.  i know people that have had to wear theirs on other fingers/hands because of sizing issues due to weight loss, etc. it doesn't make it less of an engagement ring - just like i'm not any less engaged when i'm not wearing my ring (i don't wear it when working out, cleaning, sleeping, etc). it's really up to you and what makes you feel comfortable. but if you are american, left ring finger is the traditional one. 
    September 2011 Siggy Challenge of the Month - Colors imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards