Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

My Engagement Story! (Long, sorry!)

Just a warning, this is a bit long because there is kind of a lot of back information that needs to be known to really understand this proposal!!

Before I get into my story, something that needs to be noted: My fiance (!!), Bryant, and I had been talking about marriage for a long time, and I knew it was going to happen sometime this spring but I thought it would be in May, near my college graduation. So when he popped the question a month earlier than I was planning on, I was completely taken by surprise.

I majored in dietetics, with the ultimate goal of becoming a registered dietitian, but in order to do that it is necessary to complete an internship. These internship programs are extremely competitive but I really thought I would get one. The notification day for internships was April 1st, and in the weeks before I told Bryant he should throw a "surprise" party for me (I love surprises) if I got an internship, and if I didn't we could still just have a party. Of course it was (kind of) a joke since I knew about the party!

Well Bryant planned a party at his apartment, with my knowledge, because all of my friends from high school were going to be home that weekend for Easter. April 1st came, I did not get an internship, and I was absolutely devastated. However, Bryant was there and helped calm me down and we began looking into options of different internship programs across the country, and Bryant said he would come with me anywhere, which meant the world to me.

So fast forward to Friday, April 6th. It was just a usual day, neither of us had class so we just hung out and we went to the mall, where Bryant bought me a new stuffed animal, which I assumed was just to help cheer me up more about not getting an internship (you're never too old to have stuffed animals!). We cleaned up his apartment for the party with my friends, and then Bryant told me to go into his room and wait a few minutes because he had to get something from his car. When I asked him what he was getting, he just said "well there has to be some sort of surprise for the party tonight!" and I didn't really think anything of it, especially when he came back and I heard him putting stuff in the fridge, I just figured he got a cake for me or something.

A few hours later my friends came over, and we just sat around talking, waiting for our last friend to get off work (which in hindsight was kind of unusual for us). Well she got off work and called me and INSISTED that I come over to her apartment when she got back (she lived next door) to help her pick out an outfit. Finally she convinced me, and I left the party to go help her.

When we got back to Bryant's apartment, I opened the door and I noticed most of the lights were off and one of my friends shoved me out the door saying we couldn't come in yet. I still wasn't suspicious though, since Bryant had told me he had a small surprise planned. I just figured they were going to hide behind the counter and jump out at me and say surprise or something (it's embarrassing how oblivious I was).

A few minutes later Bryant came out and told my friend to go inside. He grabbed my hand and told me to close my eyes. He then walked me into the room, and when I opened my eyes I noticed the room was decorated with a bunch of candles and flower petals and the first thing I say is "where did you get all this stuff?" (Woops). Bryant said he bought it, then grabbed both my hands and started talking about being there for me for the rest of my life; I was standing there thinking "this seems like a proposal, but there's no way he's proposing right now! He wasn't supposed to be doing this for another month! When would he have gotten a ring without me knowing??" Etc. But sure enough, he got down on one knee, pulled out a ring and asked me to marry him!! I was in SHOCK!

It was perfect because all of my closest friends were there and got the whole thing on video and lots of pictures, and Bryant had glasses of champagne ready to go and we were able to celebrate instantly! I was shocked that all of my friends had known and nobody tipped me off. He had even talked to my parents (they live on the other side of the country)! It also worked out well because we were going to Bryant's parents' house the next day for Easter so we got to celebrate again with his whole family. It could not have been more perfect for me, and almost 3 months later I still get giddy thinking about it!!

Re: My Engagement Story! (Long, sorry!)

• Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    We love that you had a photo, too!
    Your friends at http://www.imgjewelers.com
  • Options
    the first thing I say is "where did you get all this stuff?" (Woops).

Totally something I would do.  What a sweet story!  I was totally oblivious too when my DH proposed to me, and then I look back at all the signs and wonder how on earth I missed them!

At any rate, congratulations, that is really sweet!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Awesome proposal! SOunds like a great guy. Congratulations!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards