Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Male Engagement Rings?

2»

Re: Male Engagement Rings?

• Options
    Yes, I gave my husband an engagement ring 15 years ago. I agree with you men kind of get ripped off in this process. He wore it on his left hand until the day of the wedding when it was replaced with his wedding band. He loved it. It made him feel special and I remember him showing and telling everyone he was engaged. I think all men should get one. Of course, I married the most wonderful, handsome, special, loving man in the whole world. Still going strong and more in love than when we got married. Yes, ladies that really happens. Plus, the sex gets better too!  Embarassed
  • Options
    My fiance and I had been together for about 4 years when he proposed and honestly, i was getting a little impatient, so I decided if he didn't propose soon (like in 8 mos or so) I would propose to him.  So I got him an engagement ring, and I figured I would carry it around with me in case he proposed first, so we could then exchange rings.  Well, he totally ended up beating me to the punch and proposed to my surprise before it had even been shipped to me haha.  So, when it arrived I had a nice surprise for him.  It is a wooden ring I had custom made for him so people don't assume its a wedding ring even though he wears it on his left hand.  It does spark some conversations though, and people love the idea.  I got it in wood because an engagement is strong like wood, but once we are married our relationship will be even stronger, like metal.  Its a stupid little thing in my head, but I liked the thought!
  • Options
    My fiance wears a tungsten promise ring on his right hand with a claddagh symbol on it. He and I liked the idea of both of us having rings as well.

• Options
    Long before he proposed he would joke that since I would get an engagement ring he should get an engagement watch - it would only be fair. He just proposed 2 days ago (4/17/11) and I think just to blow his mind I'll get him a very nice watch with something special engraved :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_male-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:e789dfca-a6a4-4790-8a56-f6d47f01d864Post:411b0a1f-5e67-4a09-9088-18158116fccb">Re: Male Engagement Rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I had been together for about 4 years when he proposed and honestly, i was getting a little impatient, so I decided if he didn't propose soon (like in 8 mos or so) I would propose to him.  So I got him an engagement ring, and I figured I would carry it around with me in case he proposed first, so we could then exchange rings.  Well, he totally ended up beating me to the punch and proposed to my surprise before it had even been shipped to me haha.  So, when it arrived I had a nice surprise for him.  It is a wooden ring I had custom made for him so people don't assume its a wedding ring even though he wears it on his left hand.  It does spark some conversations though, and people love the idea.  I got it in wood because an engagement is strong like wood, but once we are married our relationship will be even stronger, like metal. <strong> Its a stupid little thing in my head, but I liked the thought!</strong>
    Posted by miaka51[/QUOTE]

That isn't stupid at all! I think that's a great thought! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    My fiance and I both had promise rings that we wore on our left hands (he went to Russia for a year and we wanted to have something that still tied us together) and after he popped the question my bling ring replaced it. I still wear my promise ring, but on the right hand and he does as well. When we went shopping for wedding bands for him, he decided that he wanted to wear his now instead of waiting so that everyone knew he was off the market. My mother can't understand the concept, but it makes me so pleased to see him wearing that ring proudly. Since my engagement ring will be my wedding ring (we're not getting another band) it seemed only fair that his ring work the same~
  • Options
    I proposed to my FI first.  I thought why can't we ladies pop the question, and give them a little story of their own to have.  My finace is wearing his, on his ring finger, and he loves when people say, "When did you get married?"  Becasue then he get's to say, "Well actually, my GF now FI proposed to me!"  When we get married, he said he will still wear both rings.  He will take the engagment ring and wearit on his right hand, and his wedding band will be on the left.  If I will be having two rings, then so shall he.  
  • Options
    My fiance got an engagement flat screen.  Never see him anymore...LOL
  • Options
    I think it's an awesome idea. My fiancee and I both have engagement rings and he wears his on his left ring finger in fact, I call it his man solitare, it's a titanium band that has a floating diamond in it. We talked about it as well and he was the one that actually wanted it, he said "just because I'm engaged doesn't mean I'm on the market anymore and I need to show everyone that". So we're just going to use his enegagement ring as his wedding band until we can find a way to add to it to his liking and we'll add just a little bit to mine to change it up for the wedding set. He gets just as excited showing off his enegagement ring as I do, and sometimes even more than I do. But I also think this is a younger generation thing, my grandfather who is almost 90 couldn't even imagine wearing a ring before he got married, but I know there are a lot more men out there who actually wear promise rings, let alone enegament rings. So I just say let him wear it on which ever hand he wants to and let him have the pride in knowing that he got one too.
  • Options

My fiance decided all on his own to wear his.  We got our rings about 8 months before the wedding and he was SO excited he decided to wear it on his right hand.  He got some flack from other men (outwardly unhappily married and recently divorced co-workers) but his only worry is that he'll get too used to it and want another one!  I'm secretly purchasing one for him anyway, which I know he'll love for the ceremony. 

• Options
    The engagement Xbox is awesome.  My fiance talked me into an engagement tv! It's a 60' (huge) and he literally brags to all his friends that it's his engagement tv.  It's cute that he likes to share with everyone what it's for.  The best part to me is, hey, I have a big screen too! :)  We are the first of our friends to get married, so all of his friends now have picked out what they want for an engagement present! LOL.  Ohh Lord, what have we started?!?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi! My fiance and I got engaged dec 23, 2010. We both wear engagement rings because I think it expresses the sentiment to others that he is committed to someone. He wears his on the left finger. He gets comments about the ring and if he's married or no. It's a great conversation starter and he loves his ring as much as I do. We will get him a nicer band (his is tungsten now) once we get married so he can wear it forever. I think men should wear engagement rings. Women should'nt be the only ones who show an outward sign of their committment. Maybe this will catch on someday, but for now I like being one of the few couples that both have engagement rings.
  • Options
    I bought a tungsten ring for my FI before we got engaged. I had a feeling it was coming up and kept the ring in my purse. Within a week, we were engaged. I gave him his ring and he LOVES it. In fact, I have asked if he wants something different for his wedding band and he said no. We decided to get the same ring in a smaller size in case he looses weight (the one he has is a little loose now) in the future.

He wears it all the time, and it makes me so happy whenever I see it on his finger.
    Always Daddy's Little Girl
    kimdad-2

Mr. vs Mrs. Food Blog
    (Updated 6/12/11, please vote for the next dish!)
  • Options
    I did the same thing, down to the tungsten carbide. If I have to wear a big "Taken!" sign on my hand, then so does he. :)
  • Options
    Ladies I got my FI an engagement ring 2wks after he proposed. It was actually his Idea, he insisted on having a ring. I got him a 1carat black diamond ring that he does wear on his left ring finger. Once we get married he will get a traditional white diamond wedding band, thisway he can switch up whenever he wants to. If he is happy, then im happy!!!!
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea!  My fiance and I both wore promise rings on our left ring fingers for a few years before we got engaged.  I don't wear mine any more I replaced it with my engagement ring, but he still wears his.  He loves wearing it.  People mistake it all the time for a wedding ring, and I think he really likes being able to explain it to people.
  • Options
    I didn't get my guy an engagement ring, but the website I got his wedding ring talked a bit about men's engagement rings. I found it kind of odd, but i guess maybe it is a new trend. They call them man-gagement rings, which i think is kinda cute but not necessarily something my guy would wear. You can see their article here:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards