Just Engaged and Proposals

Romeo and Juliet: A Poll

Romeo and Juliet: two people who are truly, deeply in love, or angsty teenagers acting out on their hormones?

And go!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic "Mom's Hot Dog Dance is hysterical."

Re: Romeo and Juliet: A Poll

• Of course it was true love! Why else would they have been getting married. Romeo and Juliet had a love that trancended the material world. I truely believe that they are cuddling in heaven right now. The love the had was eternal, death be damned!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Definitely true love. I mean, who wouldn't kill themselves for true love?
  • I think times were different when it was written, but if it happened present day, no one but hormone ridden dramatic teenagers would do that.  But then, they call it fiction for a reason. 
  • Yes, Leah. :) My new name sucks. 

True love is wiping your husband's vomit off his face when he's going through chemo, or giving up the new car you've been saving for so that your wife can change careers and take a pay cut, or eating chinese food when you'd really rather have italian because your husband has yet another craving.  But those things don't make for good entertainment.  Offing yourself b/c you think your lover is gone is dramatic and interesting, but it isn't reality. 
  • There's a lot of evidence that Shakespeare thought their love was whatever his understanding of hormones owuld have been, even if he wrote some of the most beautiful love dialogue ever spoken for the two of them. For one thing, Friar Lawrence warns them to be careful that they don't burn up all their love too quickly by being so ardent at the beginning:

"These violent delights have violent ends
    And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
    Which, as they kiss, consume. The sweetest honey
    Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
    And in the taste confounds the appetite.
    Therefore love moderately: long love doth so;
    Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."

Sort of what you were saying, right Leah?

There's also Juliet's constant obsession with death in the balcony scene, in the scene where she's waiting for Romeo to arrive for their wedding night, when she says goodbye to him the morning after, and when she's about to drink the potion that makes her seem like she's dead. She would give Bella Swan a run for her money.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Sh!t, you're smart.
  • Yeah I always thought Shakespeare thought Juliet & Romeo were antsy teenagers. (sort of:  that blind hot emotions are bad).

Mercutio is important (Shakespeare added him) as his death sends the play to its final ending. Mercutio makes fun of Romeo's naive view of love. (for example the Queen Mab thing).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I agree with Sarah! R&J is like a 16th/17th century version of Twilight to me. But much better written.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Romeo and Juliet had lust going on not love. Love takes time to grow.They didn't even take a month to get to know each other.

And for those of you who say you found love at first sight, think back and analyze it all again. Don't you all love your husbands/fiancé's more each day than you did the last? It ain't love you feel when you first meet someone, it's that pitter-patter your heart does because he excites you and the pheromones than make you want to jump him.
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • They're just like today's whiney teenagers, who only want something all the more because Mommy and Daddy say they can't have it. Times haven't changed one bit.

I also hate that "Love Story" pop song, because that whole "You were Romeo and I was the Scarlet Letter" line makes me believe that the singer has never actually read The Scarlet Letter.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_romeo-juliet-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:ef65518b-2d8f-4d99-9255-7ca7b572fae6Post:885bef31-4361-4cee-b394-efdbbacfe6d6">Re: Romeo and Juliet: A Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also hate that "Love Story" pop song, because that whole "You were Romeo and I was the Scarlet Letter" line makes me believe that the singer has never actually read The Scarlet Letter.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

This is so true!  What do those two stories even have to do with each other?  And getting caught cheating on your husband really means love to me...

It makes me laugh almost as much as the new one where she says "Now the dudes are lining up... but we kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger"  Really?  You're a 22 y/o girl and you only want a guy that looks like Mick Jagger?  He's like 70, and not pretty. 

Sometimes I wonder if monkeys write these songs. 

/rant
  • A little of both.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards