Just Engaged and Proposals

Finding weddin patience

I have been engaged for a month and my fiance and I decided to have our wedding in 2012, but now he is saying he wants to wait three yrs. I dont want to wait three yrs even though I do realize that it will go by fast. I think its just because I am very excited. Hearing that I have to wait that long to marry him saddens me a little. Does anyone else feel this way? and How do I gain patience? Advice plz!!!!

Re: Finding weddin patience

• i think long engagements are just fine, just as long as both parties are on board with it.  it's never cool if one wants to wait and one wants to do it RIGHT NOW.

you guys should sit down and compromise!

why did he give you a ring if he wanted to wait so long?  year engagements and even two year engagements are rather common but three years is a damn long time.  i think any woman would be impatient with this.
  • Why does he want to wait three years? I think that you two should sit down and discuss it because you get a say in this too! Honestly 3 years seems like too long of an engagement to me, but every couple is different. But I think you really need to sit down with him and try to understand why.

• bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker

I'm also interested on why he wants to wait 3 years.  Is it to save money?  Is it because you're both in school?  To pay down debt?  To save for a home?  His prudence may trump your excitement. 

• Please provide us with more information.

Does he (and/or you) not have a stable job or income at the moment?  Will you two be paying for the wedding yourselves?  Waiting to finish school?  These are all perfectly justifiable reasons to wait to have a wedding. 

I need more info about reasons before I can give better advice.
  • I think 3 yrs is a long time. Yes, I agree more questions need to be answered before we can help you out.
  • 3 years is a long time to wait and get married, the only reason I can think of is maybe military reason....I don't think I'd have the patience to wait so long..our wedding is in 4 months and I'm already waiting anxiously for it...your fiance and you should sit down and decide what's right for both of you, not just what he wants...
  • I understand completely how you feel! I got engaged June 2009 and we are planning our wedding June 2012. Were doing this so he will have finished his first year of teaching and I will have completely finished my bachelor's degree. This way our first year of marriage won't be as stressful. The way I've coped with it is pace myself with the planning and keeping myself busy with school and photography. Doing this helps the time go by fast, its already hard to believe in a few days we will have been engaged for a year already. This also gives you time to get ideas for your wedding and to save up money.  So just take your time with planning and don't wait till the last moment to plan it all, trust me time will go by fast! Congrats and good luck!Smile
  • Why does he want to wait three years?
    brideswardrobe.com/7-wedding-dress
  • I had this same problem but not quite that long of time. My FH & I first made a date then moved it up and then he told me he wanted to move it back. It sadden me at first but I had to see his viewpoint on it after a month of "pouting". Just be patient..I've learn from experience don't push it because it can cause fights when its really nothing to fight about it. Just ask why he wants to wait, try to understand and then let him know why you want to move the date up. I wish you luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards