July 2012 Weddings
Options

invitation addressing question - writing too big and USPS requirements?

question for you ladies -

Even though our invites are currently unassembled and incomplete and I am still waiting on our STUPID lady to get me belly bands and the actual inserts, invites, and pocket folders....fiance and I decided to get moving on our addressing and started last night.

My fiance says I am writing TOO BIG. Are there any USPS requirements/guidelines/etc. for writing so big that it covers a lot of the envelope? My writing looks better when it is really big - is there such thing as writing too big? Fiance was afraid the post office would send some of them back since my writing covered nearly the whole front of a few of the envelopes.... 

My writing is really bad but with both of us working we got a good start on them last night.....

Re: invitation addressing question - writing too big and USPS requirements?

• Options
    TChiumiTChiumi member
    First Comment
    I've never heard of there being an limitations on the size of the print or writing on an envelope.  We had our invitations address using cligraphy and the writing was fairly large and we have only had one invitation come back and that was due to the address being incorrect.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've never heard of any issues with writing that's too big, but I guess I've never actually seen an envelope with writing that takes up the whole front. It really does cover the whole thing?? I can see how one line can take up a lot of space horizontally if you have someone with a really long last name, multiple titles, and an "and family," but is your writing taking up a lot of space vertically too? I can't even visualize what this looks like because I've never seen it!

But long story short, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I've never heard of them sending it back because the writing was too big. I have heard of them sending it back if it's too small and illegible though. So I think you'll be good!
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    You should be fine! I saw tons of examples of really big writing when I was researching doing calligraphy for mine, and no one was saying in their blog posts that they had any issues with mailing.

(these are not mine, but just an example of big writing)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If the writing is too big it might not go thru the machine. I'm not sure if you were doing hand canceling anyways. I know my boss always reminds interns that when addressing envelopes it has to be centered on the envelope in the middle or it won't get read correctly. That is the only problem I could see but hand canceling will eliminate the problem.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We had our envelopes printed and the writing on there is fairly large. Like it takes up more room than I thought it would. It looks good though. That's not too much help, I know, but I'm in the same position. I don't think it will be a problem.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    A lot of the names take up the entire space across. I didn't start writing until, probably, 1/3 of the way down the envelope, but with some of the addresses that had apartment numbers, the lines ended up going all the way down to nearly the bottom of the envelope. We were planning to try to hand-cancel them (not sure if you are allowed to do that here or not!) but hopefully we will be ok!!

bmore - I am NOT a calligrapher by any means and my writing is awful, but I would say I am probably taking up the amount of space that the bottom sample is in your picture. If that calligrapher doesn't get invites sent back, I will probably be ok too!
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    You could always ask at the post office just to be sure before you continue. That's probably what I would do.

However I don't think it would be a problem. Just like Bmore, when searching for ideas I saw tons of large print on the front of envelopes. The handwriting on this one looks messy so ignore that, but it does take up most of the envelope.

• Options
    Nancy00714Nancy00714 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    The address on my envelopes is HUGE.  Takes up the entire envelope.

Deleted PIC!

Sorry not the best image but you can see that the writing literally takes up the entire envelope. 

They reached their destinations in 1 to 3 days.

ETA:  Looking at the top of the envelope looks like they went through the machine or whatever.  I know my dad didn't hand cancel anything.
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Ooo very pretty Nancy! I love the look of your envelopes!
  • Options
    Nancy I love yours too!!! they are gorgeous!!

Mine are close to that big - a little smaller - except they look like a kindergartner wrote them (me).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_invitation-addressing-question-writing-too-big-and-usps-requirements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:eb0e277d-4983-42e3-a1a8-de35cd1a20f6Post:d7144a29-6643-4c26-a232-3f0c3e1de4f0">Re: invitation addressing question - writing too big and USPS requirements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooo very pretty Nancy! I love the look of your envelopes!
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

Thanks NAti!  The lady I worked with had them done in like 4 days!  And she picked  them up and dropped them off at my brother's job (butcher counter at wholefoods, haha!!).
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_invitation-addressing-question-writing-too-big-and-usps-requirements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:eb0e277d-4983-42e3-a1a8-de35cd1a20f6Post:f38bd572-5134-4cf4-b6e4-f97b862b3dab">Re: invitation addressing question - writing too big and USPS requirements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nancy I love yours too!!! they are gorgeous!! Mine are close to that big - a little smaller - except they look like a kindergartner wrote them (me).
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

Thanks Butterfly!  But as you can see there's no such thing as too big!  (that's what she said, haha!) Anyways my dad said the same thing your FI said when he saw them.
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    Nancy, those are gorgeous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I posted this in the vent thread too, but if you want me to hand write everything & put it together for you, I'm so willing to! I have pretty handwriting! 
  • Options
    bblouinbblouin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Mine were addressed big. I did the calligraphy on my own ad it was my first time. They didn't hassle us at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards