Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement x 2

Hey ladies... I know that there are some similar posts on here, but mine is from a little bit of a different perspective, and I need some kind, yet honest, advice please :)

My fiance and I have been together for a little less than a year. We just got engaged about a week ago, and we are over the moon :) He was planning to propose about a month ago, before his family vacation, but when he found out that his younger sister's boyfriend was planning to do the same, he held off, as they had been together for about 2 years. He wanted to be as considerate as possible. We had a great time celebrating their engagement on vacation, and are thrilled for them. His sister is one of my best friends, and he is very close with her fiance. They eventually settled on a date of July 7th, 2012.

Fast forward to now (1 mo + later), we became engaged, and we announced the news to our families. Everyone is supportive, but although his sister congratulated me, she has been much more cold and standoffish than normal... ignoring us, just not showing up for our engagement dinners, etc. She isn't even speaking to my fiance... on top of that, we have had our hearts set on May 5th, 2012 since we first started talking about the idea of marriage (it has personal relevance). We are pretty sure that this will cause a lot of drama among the family, if we choose a date prior to theirs. Keep in mind, they are going to have something very large and elaborate, whereas my fiance and I would like to do something smaller and more simple, with a shorter engagement period to reduce stress (we have each been engaged before). If we were to wait until after them, that would be almost a year of waiting, as opposed to 6ish months...

Basically, I want to know if I am being unreasonable. If not, how do I get my point across to her, and avoid drama as much as possible? Thanks for the advice ladies... I could use all of the help that I can get ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards