Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Did you know FI would be proposing soon before it happened?

Just curious....Also, feel free to throw in how long you two were dating.
I'm clearly not engaged yet but my bf confessed today he went ring shopping. :-)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did you know FI would be proposing soon before it happened?

• Options
    We had been talking about marriage for quite some time, but the actual proposal was a complete surprise. He usually sucks at secrets but did a great job of proposing. We had even bought the ring together, and it was still a surprise.

We had been dating about 3 1/2 years, just celebrated 5 years together, and another 4 months til the wedding!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I did know. We were out at a car show event when I mentioned all my jewelry was silver or white gold. He said oh, well the ring I have is yellow gold so I hope you like it. He also proposed 3 times (see my bio if you want the story) and every time i was a giddy tear filled mess. We have only been together 5 months (3 months the first time he proposed) but he's been my best friend for 4 years. They were his grandmothers rings...passed down in the family. The set is beautiful! <3
  • Options
    My FI is terrible at surprises and usually can never wait to give me anything he gets me, but he was pretty good at waiting to propose [he waited for the last day of school before I graduated college]. We had been dating for 6 months and he asked! He had been dropping little hints here and there and I had a strange feeling he was going to, but I still wasn't sure. He even went ring shopping on his own-and did a great job.
  • Options
    No, I did not know. We had however talked about marriage a lot (it was important to us to do so, as we learned our lessons from previous relationships about that!).

It was a surprise in a way to him as well, as the circumstances were a little unique and so it was quite out of the blue. There was not a lot of planning involved in the proposal (which is part of what I love about it, and why it is so special). However, he confessed that he also asked me when he did as he was tired of waiting for me to do it ;) Since then we ask one another regularly however, so by the time we get married I figure we will have asked one another a couple hundred times ;)

We were dating for a year when he asked, and we will be married just under 15 months from when we started dating.
  • Options
    I was with my fiance when he bought the ring. I was obviously excited after he bought the ring and began planning before he proposed (I included him and he encouraged it since the more that was planned now the easier the planning...I posted on here I was hoping for a proposal the weekend he ended up proposing and a girl commented saying I was despret for a wedding and not my marraige...I've already been married once so it wasn't that at all!! DUH! It was pretty rude) Anyway he held onto the ring for 2 or 3 months before he proposed and it was killing me! Finally on Halloween he proposed.

From the start though we had talked a little here and there about getting married and our future when we moved in with each other things started getting really serious and thats when he bought the ring :) I was planning on proposing to him on our 2 year anniversay if he didn't before then(we've been dating a little more than a yr and a half)
  • Options
    We had talked about it and timing but I didn't know exactly when it would happen.
  • Options
    We were together for 2 years. I had no clue FI was proposing. He had actually told me several times he didnt even want to think about getting married until he was 30. I was completely shocked when he did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EDK2010EDK2010 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    We had been together 5 years when we got engaged, we had talked about marriage a lot but were waiting to get oursleves established after college! This summer we seriously started talking about getting married in 2010. He originally wanted to keep it  all a secret, but decided to involve me in ring shopping when he couldn't make a decision. I had no idea when he was going to actually propose and was totally shocked when it was a random Monday night!
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
    BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
    BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
    TTC on hold until December
  • Options
    I knew he was going to propose sometime before fall of this year, but I had no idea he was going to propose as soon as he did (last New Year's Eve).  It was a total surprise.  A week before I'd told my mom that's we'd be getting engaged "eventually, but probably not until at least May when we graduate."
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Oh, and he proposed after we'd been dating a little over a year and a half.  The wedding is within a couple days of our three year dating anniversary.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options

My FI and I had been talking seriously about getting married soon after we both graduated college... which was May 09. During Fall 08, I had been really hinting about rings. Actually, I had been asking to go look at rings since 2007... haha. He finally told me we could go LOOK... not buy. Well, I found the perfect setting and bands. A few months later... still no ring... I thought it was going to happen at Christmas 08... no ring. I knew he had it because (yes, I feel bad for this) he had left his bank statement laying around slightly open... there was a charge to the jewelry store we had went to months before. FINALLY in January 09, he popped the question while we were getting ready to go out to eat with friends. He told me he had the ring since October 09. And I also knew he was going to do it that night because I have a problem with not letting him keep secrets because I pressure him into telling me... or somehow I figure things out with how he reacts. We got engaged after dating 3 years and 3 months. By time we get married, we will have been together 5 years! The date is November 27, 2010! I'm so excited... The wedding is basically already planned... haha

• Options
    He proposed to me on our 15th month anniversary.

I didn't expect it at all whatso ever. It was a Sunday morning after my cousin's wedding the previous night. We slowly wake up in bed and he gets on his knee and reaches into his nightstand and brings out a box. I couldn't stop the water works cause I knew what he was doing.

We work and live in seperate cities. We get to see each other every weekend but hate parting because of work. He's always tell me that I will move up with him 'in due time.' And that was his way of telling me that we are solid. 

When I asked him point blank what he's waiting for cause I am ready to take the next step, he answered: "I don't know what I'm waiting for. Maybe for the right time."

The definition of his 'right time' was after all the weddings we attended this year. He didn't want to turn attention from the bride & groom's wedding to us......even though we were constantly asked when we would tie the knot.

We've gone ring shopping, selected our ring and will be setting the stones this December 5th :) HIs parents will know then, my parents will be officially asked a week later. Completely excited!!!

• Options

We had only been dating for three weeks, when we started talking about getting married. We both knew that we were meant to be. We met at the library during a break and Phillip wanted to check his e-mail. I didn’t think anything about it until he asked me not to look at the computer. I found that a little bit odd. Well over the next week and a half, I got him to admit that he had ordered a ring, but I didn’t know anything else.

On April 30th, he went to Washington, D.C. to see his sister get married and while he was gone I stayed at his place and watched our dog. He was talking to his parents about me and instead of texting his roommate, he sent me a text asking if UPS had come today. I replied no and an hour later there was a knock on the door. It was UPS asking for him and when I said he wasn’t here but I could sign for it, they let me. So I sent him a text letting him know that his 2 lb box was there. His response was.... it’s his work shoes.

Later that night, when he got back from DC, he immediately wanted to know where the box was, so I gave it to him. He sat on the floor and played with our dog while I sat on the bed and talked to him. Soon enough, I hear the tape being ripped off the box and next thing I know he’s on one knee. He said to me "You lead me to a happiness I never thought I would see, Stephany Jeanne LaFlamme, will you marry me?" I immediately said Yes!!

The proposal was better than I ever dreamed it would be. He waited until midnight so he didn’t propose on the same day that his sister got married on. And then the amazing job he did in picking out my ring! He picked it out all by himself and the reason he picked my ring is for the infinity symbols. It has these symbols on both sides of the bridge and on the bottom of the ring. He would always say I love you and my response has always been…. “Well I love you to infinity and beyond!!”

• Options
    I knew way ahead of time he would be proposing- six months, in fact.  That's when we bought my rings.  The proposal itself, however, was a complete and utter surprise.  he showed up while I was on vacation in NH (he had to work) with my bff and her finacee, and proposed in front of my whole family.  On the beach, with a fire going and tiki torches everywhere (did I mention a game of beer pong was going on??)  Totally caught me off guard!

We dated for 6 years before getting engaged, but 4 of them were while we were in college. 
  • Options
    We picked out the ring together about 6 weeks before the "official" proposal. But we also started some planning before the real proposal so it wasn't like I was sitting on my thumbs thinking, "Gee, I wish I could just set a date and look at venues already." That was done. ;-) But of course he wanted to do something special and surprising on his own. And it was a surprise!

We were together for about 2 years and 3 months when he proposed.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    His sister told me it was going to happen.  She got married in September of last year and apparently cornered him at some point that day and asked him when he was planning on proposing, since it had been 5 years at that point.  He told her "Some time before the end of the year."  She promptly sent me an email the next day and told me.  My response was "You give him sh!t all the time about proposing - he probably just said that so you'd get off his back."  At that point, I was convinced it would NEVER happen.

He proposed on Christmas morning of last year by putting the ring in my stocking.  Got down on one knee and everything - while I was in my pj's and hadn't even brushed my teeth.  lol  TOTALLY caught me off-guard, since he had always told me he'd never do it on a holiday or other "cliche" day like my birthday.
  • Options
    I've known my boyfriend has had the ring since June when he let it slip at my sister's wedding. The waiting is absolutely killing me!! Our 3 year anniversary is in January so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    FI proposed right before our 1-year anniversary.  We were going to Boston for the weekend and I thought it was going to happen then.  But the night before we left, I went upstairs to soak in the tub before packing.  While the tub was filling, he called my parents and asked them for their blessing.  When I came downstairs (in I swear my crummiest PJs because the cute ones were packed!), he was in the kitchen.  He called me in and said I had to come look at something, and TOTALLY surprised me with the proposal.  One knee, on the tile, in front of the ice dispenser, awwww :)
    Holiday Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My fiance and I were together 5 and a half years before he proposed. I knew the proposal would be by the end of 2009 since we wanted to get married in 2010. Then in early Nov, he took me ring shopping and picked out a ring I really liked. He didn't buy it at the time so I figured it would still be awhile before the actual proposal. Then he proposed a week later :) I was completely surprised, I didn't think he'd be able to keep it a secret that he bought the ring ;)
  • Options
    I knew we were going to get engaged and soon, but I didn't know when.  I found the ring in our room while I was looking for my watch.  He did it a few weeks later.  HE does not know I found it, I feel really guilty.  

We were engaged after 9ish months of dating and we have too long of an engagement, 2.5 years because I lost my job.  
  • Options
    I did! We talked about it after dating for just two months. We talked about it for a while though, for almost 6 months, went ring shopping together and everything. The actual proposal was a surprise though. :D
  • Options
    We started talking about marriage around the 2.5 year mark casually.  After our 3 year anniversary we started talking about it much more, however we lived in seperate cities (met our Jr. year of college but were from opposite ends of the state) he finally got a job near me and moved in, we didn't want a long distance engagement and knew that had to be the next step in our relationship first.  After he moved in we began casually looking at wedding venues and such talking about possibly getting married in 2010, when we realized they were already booking in to 2011.  He asked me to start calling places to go look now, he didn't want to wait until 2011 so I did, we booked our venue, photographer, videographer and dj together this past September...so I knew it was coming but he told me sometime before our 4 year anniversary (february 2010), I was shocked to say the least when he proposed October 10, 2009 in a jewlery store.  He knew I would go look at the diamonds, and the ring I wanted I've never seen in a case, when I saw it in this case I had to try it on, I had no idea it was MY ring he had designed.  We are getting married October 23, 2010, 4 months before our 5 year anniversary.
  • Options
    Yes, I did know that it was coming, I just didn't know when. We had been talking marriage for over a year, and had been ring shopping together (I picked out the styles I liked and then he went on his own to buy one). He still managed to surprise (or should I say stun?) me with the actual proposal, though. I had no idea it was coming THAT night. He's normally really bad at keeping secrets from me, but in this case I didn't know what was going on until he was on his knee. I knew everything up to that point though, for the most part. I knew when he bought the ring (like I said, bad secret keeping!), when he took my dad to dinner, and when he was planning to take my mom to dinner. He ended up taking my mom & stepdad to dinner, getting their blessing, and then proposing later that night.
    We had been together 2.5 years, had been friends close to 6 years, and had been living together for 7 months.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-fi-would-proposing-soon-before-happened?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:ffb189da-2875-4b7e-9734-2bfeda377695Post:333df503-e47e-44ea-8d2f-9246c88bcd44">Did you know FI would be proposing soon before it happened?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just curious....Also, feel free to throw in how long you two were dating. I'm clearly not engaged yet but my bf confessed today he went ring shopping. :-)
    Posted by Tennis Chick[/QUOTE] yep...pretty much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards