Just Engaged and Proposals

NE - proposal story :)

I've been a lurker on the boards for a while, occasionally popping up on NYE, but thought I'd pop in here to introduce myself cause I'm sure I'll be throwing out lots of questions on the boards as I plan! :)

FI and I've been together for 5 years and I thought it was going to be a while longer, but he just decided it was time and surprised me. But like REALLY surprised me- for the first time in our entire relationship I think.

I live in Peru in a city that sits at the base of a 5 mile high snow-capped volcano. I fell in love with this city and its volcano 10 years ago and attempted to climb it, reaching the top but not making it to the summit after what was the biggest physical effort of my life- the altitude is killer. 10 years later, I'd been wanting to climb it to celebrate my anniversary of this being "my city" (he's from here) and convinced him to climb it too. We talked about it all year but never got around to physically preparing with so many other things going on, but since it was the last weekend the weather permits for the year, he suggested we go for it a couple weeks ago. I was skeptical that 10 years older and in less physical shape, we would make it but figured it was worth the try. So 2 days and lots of tears, suffering, laughter, and incredible effort later, we actually made it to the summit. Where as soon as we could breathe (I was in tears of joy of reaching the peak) he knelt in the volcanic ash and asked me to marry him. It was an amazing metaphor for our 5 year relationship, such a signiticant place, and the perfect proposal for us. I said yes and then cried all the way down the volcano. :) He later explained he chose it because he wanted me to wake up every day and see the towering volcano and remember how much he loved me and to raise our children together in this city where they could know the significance when they look at it too.

That was Sunday. This week's project; Pick a date. Super hard with family all over the world! But excited to get past that part and into the "fun" planning. THanks all for reading my story. On to post my ring on the ring board. :)

Martita

Re: NE - proposal story :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards