Students
Options

Wedding a month before graduation...good idea?

So I'm a full time student, and the FI is going to be taking a class or two at a community college starting next semester. The FI's lucky number is 13 and wants to get married on Friday the 13th.  

In 2012 there are three Friday the 13ths: January, April, and July.  We live in Nebraska, so January's out.  Originally we were looking at the July date, which would be nice because it's after I graduate, so I'll have more free time before the wedding.  However, I'm worried that if I happen to get a job right away that I wont be able to take off two weeks after a month of working there.  So that made me look at April.  It's exactly a month before graduation, and so we could take our HM right after graduation.  

I know that it would not be ideal to have to go back to school after the weekend of the wedding for two weeks, then one week of finals, and one week off before graduation.  But I feel like it makes more sense, and wont have me being scared to apply for jobs in a year.  

Re: Wedding a month before graduation...good idea?

• Options
    If you're upfront with your employer after they give you an offer (AFTER they give you an offer) and before you accept about your wedding, I doubt that that will cause them to withdraw an offer of employment. Doesn't seem like the April wedding would be worth the stress to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think I would be really stressed out if this were me. Not to sound like a math dork, but since 13 is the number you want to stay with...could you pick a month and a date that add up to 13? like the third of october or something like that? If you are leaning toward April, then just do it.
  • Options
    Stick with the July date. I can't imagine getting married while a student. You don't need to take 2 weeks off to get married. I am a teacher and its hard to get time off. I am taking the Friday off before I get married (on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend) and will be back at work on the Tuesday after. We will do our honeymoon over my break. Stick with the July date and just don't take your honeymoon right after you get married if you have a job lined up.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    I don't think I would recommend the month of April personally. I am currently a week from graduation and have not done any wedding planning since September. Between work, school, job hunting and the like, this has been a crazy semester and I could not imagine adding a wedding to this.

If I were you I would try to think about all that I would realistically have going on. Are you having a lighter schedule your last semester? Are you going to be working a lot of hours?

Just be realistic with yourself and what you think you can accomplish.
  • Options
    I voted for July. I wouldn't want to get married a month before finals and graduation. I graduated from college over four years ago and I remember the last few months of college being really hectic. I wouldn't be too worried about the job situation. My fi just got a new job and we moved out of state just 3 months before our wedding. My fi told his job from the beginning that he wold need at least 2 weeks off for the wedding and they were fine with it.
    Little one is here.
  • Options
    I think taking time off In July would probably be fine with an employer.  You will have only been working for around a month, so it's not like you will have super important responsibilities by that point, you'll still be getting the feel of the place.

You might not be able to take paid vacation time, but unpaid leave probably wouldn't be an issue.  Just be up front with them after they extend an offer.
  • Options
    I planned my wedding for the Saturday after finals....This Saturday :) I have really regretted planning it this way because on top of the semester tasks, I also have to transfer to the clinical nursing program for the spring. I have felt spread completely thin and my studies haven't received the best that I could have given. My grades are great, but I could have done better or not cut things so close.

I'm finishing up my last final, which is take home and due tomorrow, and then it's crunch time for the last minute details! I will enjoy my day and I have planned my wedding the way I want, but if I had it to do all over again, I would plan it for sometime in July when I would have had sufficient time to do some intense wedding planning/work after the semester and then provided enough time before the new semester begins.

Hope this helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Happily Married Since December 18th, 2010!!
  • Options
    It depends on your workload. I was so incredibly stressed the month before my graduation! I was finishing my classes and a writing intensive senior seminar, working full-time, trying to find an apartment for after graduation, as well as all the normal end-of-year parties/celebrations/awards ceremonies for organizations I was in. It would have been crazy for me to do it in April. 

And I agree about the job issue--that's what I'm going to have to do. I'm getting married next Jan, and likely won't have much leave built up by then (I'm applying to jobs right now, before my current temp. job runs out in Oct.) but I'm just going to tell them after I get an offer...same with my 2 week mandatory study abroad for grad school in London this July.
  • Options
    omg my FI is totally superstitous about numbers and everything has to fall on an even number- guys are so weird lol - idk i think both scenarios are really risky and I know your FI loves you so much, but having your wedding on either of these dates really puts you in some pretty difficult situations, maybe you could have it on may 13th or june 13th, so you would have graduated and not stress so much about a job. besides your anniversary won't always fall on a friday the 13th, it will be a different day of the week anyway
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say April. Talk with your professors and ask them to let you finish up most of the coursework early. That way, you won't have to stress about it afterwards and can just enjoy being husband and wife. Good luck! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards