Students
Options

A bit of a bizarre question...

So I know most people don't really worry about things like this, but I would like some opinions on the matter: I have two email addresses, one for school, one for everything else (personal, social networking, etc.).  My school email address will get changed when I get married in less than two months (!!), but I have been thinking about making myself a new GMail address to start the transfer process of all of my accounts, like my social networking, banking, credit cards, etc.  After I get married in July, it's going to start getting pretty busy, what with the mini-honeymoon we're taking (since we don't have a lot of money and can't take off any more work), moving into a new apartment, work, and the beginning of school, I'm thinking it would be better to get this small thing out of the way now. I know it's really weird, but if you have an opinion, I'd like to hear it! :)
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A bit of a bizarre question...

• Options
    I still use my old e-mail, which includes part of my maiden name.  It hasn't been a problem.  My school e-mail didn't change, and I have found that most schools don't change them.   Again, it hasn't been an issue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Personally, I'll probably stop using my school email after I get married but that's only because I'll be graduating too so I don't see any reason to keep it. But that's me. I think if you're going to change it, be worried about it, and have the time now I don't see why not :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll stop using my school e-mail once I graduate.  I'm probably going to make a new e-mail since my old one is basically my complete maiden name.  I'd like to have one with my new last name, but I'll go ahead and change everything before we go on the honeymoon and even get married since as soon as we get married we have to come back, get the name change done, move, merge our bank accounts, and a ton of other stuff.  If you want to make a new one already, then go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    gmail is really good about email forwarding.  You could create a new account to use from now on and just have your old one forward to the new one.  You can change over the major things, but that way you can still be reached either way.  I think this is what I'm going to end up doing since I want my married name and title in my email address when I graduate (next week!!)  My school deletes school email addresses pretty soon after graduation so I have no intention of using that email address much longer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! My school said I just need to talk to ITS here and they'll change it for me, and I'm going to have them change it since it's basically my maiden name and I don't want my supervising teacher for student teaching to get confused.  I appreciate the time you all took to answer a bit of an off-the-wall question! :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't even worry about the school e-mail if you won't have it much longer.  I got married more than two years before I will finish grad school, and I still don't care.

I think creating a gmail with your new name and forwarding is a good idea, I use it for a different reason and it's definitely nice that people can still send stuff to my old e-mail address if they don't have my new one.  Occasionally and old friend, who I wouldn't have thought to give my new address, will e-mail me out of the blue and I'm always glad I kept the old address!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't use the school email either. My schools career services says that employers don't usually love seeing student email addresses, so I'd keep in simple with your name on gmail.
  • Options
    Forwarding your emails to your new email is definitely an excellent idea. I chose to make a completely different email address for all my wedding things (wedding spam is the worst!). I'm not getting married until next Summer but I will already be done with grad school. I don't that the school email will make much difference but if you plan on changing your social email then forwarding is a great option, I too use gmail. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards