Students
Options

First Legit Job Interview!!!Help!

I'm graduating with a bachelor's in psychology on Saturday (YAY!!) and I have a job interview on Wednesday for a care coordinator for a physican-owned HMO. Since 17, I've worked 1 job (part-time server as a waitress at Bob Evans) so my interview consisted of "When can you start?" and I wore nice jeans and a sweater. Now I need some help for my first grown up job interview. I have an idea of what I'm going to wear (a black not too tight pencil skirt, a button up blouse and either a black cardigan or jacket and classic black heels). But beyond that I'm stuck.

I have short nails because I pick them when I'm nervous/anxious (which is a lot) so should I just paint them a pale pink or slap on some fake nails? My hair is naturally a light brown but I've been dying it red for the past school year. It needs a touch up so should I go back to my natural brown or keep the red (studies show brunettes get hired more than any other hair color)?

I'm someone who would like to believe that I would get more respect for being myself with my simple style (I'm a cotton v-neck, jeans, flip-flops, and tiinted moisturizer type person) than if I walk in pretending to be who I'm not. I'm 21 and just bought eye-liner like 2 weeks ago. I know that's not how the real world works and I'm just not entering it... HELP!!!

Re: First Legit Job Interview!!!Help!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Ok, some words of advice from someone out of school and in the real world for a year:

1. ALWAYS wear a suit to a professional job interview.  (I mean, you don't need to wear a suit for your Bob Evans interview, or to work retail, or whatever, but you should always wear a suit for an interview in your profession.)  If you don't have one/can't afford one before the interview, you can get away with a pencil skirt and a blazer, but a cardigan is far too casual.

2. You don't need to paint your nails or wear fake ones, but they should be clean, and neatly trimmed and filed. 

3. I doubt hair color matters, unless your red looks fake, in which case go with the natural.

4. Wear make-up.  It doesn't have to be a lot if you're not comfortable with it, but (whether it's fair or not) it speaks to your professionalism.  If you're uncomfortable with certain things, watch youtube videos that show you how to put in on properly, and practice a few times in advance.

5. Sucks but it's true, in the professional setting, a cotton v-neck and jeans gets you no respect, not just less respect.  Appearance matters.  When you work with people in a professional setting, your appearance will act as a shorthand for your competence.  If you dress like a professional, people will treat you like a professional, and think of you like a professional.  If you dress like a sloppy college student, people will think of you as a sloppy college student, and treat you like one. And remember not to wear anything sexually provocative; again, it's not fair, but people will treat you like how you dress.  So no skirts shorter than your knee, no cleavage, and nothing form-fitting.  (Also FWIW, I'm a cotton tee and jeans person myself, but I'm in a profession where I have to wear a suit every day, no exceptions, and, you know what, I'm actually kind of becoming a suit person!)  That segues into:

6. Fake it 'till you make it.  Seriously, and this was 100% true for me, dress like a grown-up every work day, even if you feel like a little girl playing dress-up in your mom's clothes.  (I absolutely did.)  And, a by a couple months in, you won't just feel like you're dressing like a grown-up, you're feel like a grown-up. 
  • Options
    Thanks! I would NEVER wear a t-shirt and jeans in a professional setting... I just trying to say that that's my comfort zone and I'm not familiar with the professional look. I'm just so nervous and it's a completely new chapter in my life and no one's given me a guidebook... haha
  • Options
    Ditto everything PP said.  I would only add that in addition to needing a professional suit in your closet, you need to have it tailored to fit you and it should be black, grey or navy blue.  Buy a suit where it fits best on the largest part of your body and find a good seamstress to take in the rest.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Good luck!  I can't help with any advice since I am still in school but I can say I'll keep you in my thoughts and I hope you get the job.  If you don't, do not get too upset over it.  I have several friends looking for jobs and this economy is tough.  Smile and think good thoughts.  You can do it!
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely agree with really thinking about your answers to the common interview questions, but also make sure you know the answers to the questions that would pertain to your specific field. For example, I had an interview for my internship back in March and one of the questions I was asked was, "What would you do if you had a client come in who became pregnant as a result of a rape?" Definitely took me by surprise! 

Just try to be prepared and even try Googling interview questions that people have been asked. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went! Good luck today!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards