Students

Bridezilla Moment #1

UGH..

So my mom just informed me she took off work for the whole week of my spring break. I love that she is getting so excited about helping me plan, but I don't know that I can do 9 whole days!

Because I am away at school, I don't have much done. I have ordered my dress, my BM are ordering their dresses on 3/13, and I have my photographer booked.

Over SB I will get my location contract signed (FINALLY); hopefully sign the contract with my DJ/ Videographer then catering is going to have to wait because none of the potentials have a tasting during my SB.

Is it really that crucial to have EVERYTHING booked in March for a late October wedding?

Re: Bridezilla Moment #1

• I don't know what I would do with my mom if I lived more than an hour away- living an hour away is bad enough for "when you're in town we need to do these 500 things!" I'm so sorry you have to deal with that x1,000,000!

Personally, I would be concerned about not having a caterer as in my experience they book up pretty early.  If they aren't offering tastings while you're home, can you book a private tasting?  Most places we went were happy to give us a private sampling, as long as we were able to fit in with their schedule.  If not, try the local boards and see what places people are raving about.  Of course, FI and I are big-time foodies so good food was our #1 priority...

I went to the florist today for non-wedding things and the women in there were all excited because apparently it's time for me to start thinking about flowers... which means you'll be right on schedule when you go in June or July :-)

So no, you do not need to have EVERYTHING booked in March, but you will probably feel better if you make sure YOUR top priorities are taken care of!

imageimageAnniversary
  • Thanks for the input. I have 3 caterers that I am considering using and trying to get my Parents and FI together is near impossible. Hopefully I will be able to  schedule something while I am home without stressing everyone out.
  • what a blessing that your mom is so eager to help you! my mom can't afford that much energy to expend my way- her Lupus gives her just enough energy to work and then come home and crash. nine days does seem like a bit much, but be thankful that your mom wants to and is able to help. she's excited to help, and the worst way to hurt her feelings is by making her feel like she's being a nuisance. she'll be hesitant to offer help again in the future. just let her now you'r thankful for her enthusiasm, but that you weren't really planning on filling all 9 days of your break with wedding planning. it'll all work out!
  • I think your mom is trying to be nice. I'm sure she doesn't plan on spending 24/7 on wedding planning, but rather making herself available to work with your schedule so that she can help you as much as possible. Maybe March is early, but better to get things out of the way so you don't have to worry about them later.
  • 9-12 months before the wedding:

• Announce your engagement to friends and family.
    • Arrange for parents to get together and meet each other if they haven't already.
    • Pick a special date to begin your lives together.
    • Discuss what your budget will be and who'll be contributing what to the event.
    • Interview wedding planners if you're using one.
    • Pick the ceremony site and meet with the officiant.
    • Work on the guest list to get a rough head count.
    • Visit reception sites and reserve one.
    • Begin shopping for your wedding gown.
    • If you want to drop a few pounds for the wedding start now.

6-9 months before the wedding:

• Choose the members of your wedding party.
    • Select a caterer.
    • Enroll in a bridal registry.
    • Order your wedding gown.
    • Shop for bridesmaids dresses.
    • Pick a photographer and videographer.
    • Hire a florist.
    • Start thinking about where you'd like to go for your honeymoon.
    • Send out save-the-date cards, especially if your wedding is on a holiday weekend.

4-6 months before the wedding:

• Order wedding stationary (place cards, thank you cards, etc.).
    • Shop for the perfect wedding cake.
    • Hire your wedding-day transportation (carriage, limousine, etc.)
    • Book your favorite hair stylist and makeup artist.
    • Check on hotels for any out-of-town guests.
    • Finalize the guest list.
    • Get definite plans for your honeymoon, make airline and hotel arrangements.
    • Plan the rehearsal dinner.

2-4 months before the wedding:

• Purchase the marriage license from your cities county clerk.
    • Order tuxedos for the groom and groomsmen.
    • Meet with the caterer to go over menus, wine selections, etc.
    • Order the wedding cake.
    • Select wedding ceremony and reception music.
    • If you plan on writing your own vows start writing them now.

4-8 weeks before the wedding:

• Mail wedding invitations 6 to 8 weeks ahead of your wedding date.
    • Do a hair and make up run through with your wedding veil on.

2-4 weeks before the wedding:

• Work on the seating arrangements for the reception.
    • Confirm details with the photographer, florist, and other vendors.
    • Have your final wedding dress fitting.
    • Write your rehearsal-dinner toast.
    • Purchase gifts for the wedding attendants.
    • Compile a list of all of the wedding vendors and wedding party. Carry this list with you everywhere you go just in case.
    Hopefully this should help!! I've been trying to stick to this the best I can, but it's hard to do while trying to balance school and work, and everything else.  And, don't worry your mom isn't the only one who is like that. I think my mom is more excited about MY wedding than I am at times. It's all she talks anout. Godd luck!!
  • I think your way ahead, if you feel like taking it down a knotch I would. I have just finished booking/ordering everything and my wedding is about four months away. I think everything worked out perfectly :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards